Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You Drive Them.......

You are gonna break them...

Went over to the SDC SE Zone meet last weekend...

About a 150 mile trip (one way)..
    No problems either way......
    But when I looked uder the hood yesterday it was messy.
    Ewwww...[B)]

Seems there is a small leak near the upper hose neck.
    Of course it ran all down, back, and over....everything....
    Amazing what a half cup of coolant does...
    (That's all it was down by...until I drained it to R&R the radiator)...
    Near as I can tell, it must be I-95 (gotta blame something...)
    What a crappy, rough interstate (at least in SC)...
    Almost made me think I was in Pennsylvania, or New York,
    or Gary Indiana, or *
    (*: insert crappy road name and number here)...
    More pic's are up at:

Off to the radiator shop tomorrow...
    Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
    Brooklet, Georgia
    '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
    '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
    '61 Hawk (project)
    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

What a fascinating shroud. Did you design that, Jeff, or is that a factory deal? What's the purpose of the hinged cover?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

What a fascinating shroud. Did you design that, Jeff, or is that a factory deal? What's the purpose of the hinged cover?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

My design..But not exactly a new idea...

Went to the electric fan only, so the shroud helps at low speed (cruises, parades, traffic jams)..
        Since this radiator is tall and narrow, if the fan was mounted up high, there was some room underneath.
        So, rather than just block it off, I put a trap door in there that is closed at idle, but at speed, the air pressure in the front will push the door open, allowing more air through the radiator core.
        Has worked out well for the past 5 years...until last weekend
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

My design..But not exactly a new idea...

Went to the electric fan only, so the shroud helps at low speed (cruises, parades, traffic jams)..
          Since this radiator is tall and narrow, if the fan was mounted up high, there was some room underneath.
          So, rather than just block it off, I put a trap door in there that is closed at idle, but at speed, the air pressure in the front will push the door open, allowing more air through the radiator core.
          Has worked out well for the past 5 years...until last weekend
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

Jeff

Comment

Went to town this morning with the radiator.
            Found a true 'old school' radiator shop in the old part of town.
            Started talking to the owner and asked him if he could do my little custom pita job...
            (fix the upper hose bung leak, move the puke tank nipple, weld some nuts on to the frame for the shroud bolts, clean it, and check it out for a summer of hard drivin' Studefun...)
            He says "Hmmmm ayeppp, we can do it, but we have to 'put you in the book'.."
            Takes me into his office, which is straight out of the fifties, and writes my name and phone number in the book.
            He says he 'might' have it done this afternoon.
            I told him Monday or Tuesday would be fine, as his shop looked busy.
            He appreciated the timeline and I got to listen to a half hour worth of his stories about being a flight engineer on B-29's (1950'ish) and Cargomasters, and Globemasters. Very interesting man..
            Anywhoo.. I get a call a half hour ago from his son, and he asked me if I would rather have studs sticking out of the frame (for the shroud) than nuts... (A man after my own heart!) Thinking for me to boot... You betcha! He said as long at the side mount straps were off for the tank removal, it was easy for him to put some bolts in there and braze them in place. Allright! We agree'd to a length and will go from there.
            Should be done Monday, which is about when I'll be done cleaning all the crap up in there..
            Jeff[8D]

Jeff

Comment

Started talking to the owner and asked him if he could do my little custom pita job...
              (fix the upper hose bung leak, move the puke tank nipple, weld some nuts on to the frame for the shroud bolts, clean it, and check it out for a summer of hard drivin' Studefun...)
              Takes me into his office, which is straight out of the fifties, and writes my name and phone number in the book.
              He appreciated the timeline and I got to listen to a half hour worth of his stories about being a flight engineer on B-29's (1950'ish) and Cargomasters, and Globemasters. Very interesting man..
              Anywhoo.. I get a call a half hour ago from his son, and he asked me if I would rather have studs sticking out of the frame (for the shroud) than nuts... (A man after my own heart!) Thinking for me to boot... You betcha! He said as long at the side mount straps were off for the tank removal, it was easy for him to put some bolts in there and braze them in place. Allright! We agree'd to a length and will go from there.
              Should be done Monday, which is about when I'll be done cleaning all the crap up in there..
              Jeff[8D]

Jeff

Comment

Sounds like your radiator man and mine went to same school of record keeping. He has this crazy spiral notebook and somehow he keeps it all straight, His son is also taking the reins, I'd rather do business with these old timers for several reasons
                Russ
                quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Jeff[8D]

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                57 SH (project)
                60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                57 SH (project)

Comment

Sounds like your radiator man and mine went to same school of record keeping. He has this crazy spiral notebook and somehow he keeps it all straight, His son is also taking the reins, I'd rather do business with these old timers for several reasons
                  Russ
                  quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Jeff[8D]

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                  57 SH (project)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                  53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                  57 SH (project)

Comment

Really an interesting man..
                    When I went back to pick up the repaired radiator, I was 'instructed' to grab a cup of coffee and set down to chat a while. We talked about aviation from 1941 through 1965.. I had a blast just listening to him talk about being a flight engineer on B29's, Cargomasters, Starlifters.. Anyways, he fixed my radiator and told me about how it was built (a side flow core turned on end[:0]...) He said it was all right for now, but when it messed up again, I should come in and he would build me a 'real good one' from scratch. Gotta love it.
                    He not only fixed the radiator, but he installed bolts for me to fasten the shroud, where stripped holes were before. He also rotated the puke tank fitting so the cover would fit better.

(a heck of a lot cleaner now!)

(mocked up to make sure the bolts still fit. Shroud pieces on sides keep air in front of core)
                    Spent most of saturday finessing it back in. Had to (and wanted to) upgrade the mounts so it would flex without breaking, and make the install a bit more sanitary. Got most of it done, but still some more to do tomorrow...
                    Happy boy!
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by rusty nut garage

Russ

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                    Brooklet, Georgia
                    '61 Hawk (project)

Jeff

Comment

Really an interesting man..
                      When I went back to pick up the repaired radiator, I was 'instructed' to grab a cup of coffee and set down to chat a while. We talked about aviation from 1941 through 1965.. I had a blast just listening to him talk about being a flight engineer on B29's, Cargomasters, Starlifters.. Anyways, he fixed my radiator and told me about how it was built (a side flow core turned on end[:0]...) He said it was all right for now, but when it messed up again, I should come in and he would build me a 'real good one' from scratch. Gotta love it.
                      He not only fixed the radiator, but he installed bolts for me to fasten the shroud, where stripped holes were before. He also rotated the puke tank fitting so the cover would fit better.

(a heck of a lot cleaner now!)

(mocked up to make sure the bolts still fit. Shroud pieces on sides keep air in front of core)
                      Spent most of saturday finessing it back in. Had to (and wanted to) upgrade the mounts so it would flex without breaking, and make the install a bit more sanitary. Got most of it done, but still some more to do tomorrow...
                      Happy boy!
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by rusty nut garage

Russ

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                      Brooklet, Georgia
                      '61 Hawk (project)

Jeff

Comment

Cool! Literally![8D]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Cool! Literally![8D]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                          X