PDA

View Full Version : Avanti II Frame Rail Availability

Studedude1961
01-25-2006, 04:33 PM
A friend of mine is selling his Avanti II on eBay (#4607531077) it's an otherwise nice car for a 1976 but the frame is bad. A potential buyer wants to possibly restore the car but he asked where new Frame Rails can be purchased. My buddy does not have internet access so I listed the car on eBay for him. Can anyone give me a few sources for frame rails?

Thanks!
Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

Roscomacaw
01-25-2006, 06:51 PM
The Lark Convertible frame was what the Avanti's frame was developed from. There's lots of little tabs and fittings added to the Lark ragtop frame to accomodate the Avanti body. BUT - the convertible frame is no more than a regular Lark frame with a beefy X-member added to the mid-section for rigidity. SO for "frame rails" alone, a Lark frame might yeild what would be needed. Of course, taking the necessary pieces off the rusty Avanti frame and fitting them to a good Lark frame would be a task for a frame shop to tackle to insure it came out as intended. One wouldn't get away with just replacing some frame rail sections ON the car! At least I wouldn't do it that way. There may be dissenting opinions offered.:D
I just happen to know of a good Avanti II frame that MIGHT be bought if the buyer's interested.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

N8N
01-26-2006, 02:55 PM
If it is just the bottom plates of the frame that are bad, new ones are available.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel