This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker model cars

Back in the early 50's, when my family sold Studebakers, my Dad purchased promotional Studebaker toy cars to give to customers. They were from Studebaker. I remember getting to take one home to play with and keep. I would dearly love to be able to find some of these original promotional toy Studebakers. Anybody know of any? Roger

Here you go!
    Featuring Studebaker toys and models both old and new.

and

Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Navy1

Back in the early 50's, when my family sold Studebakers, my Dad purchased promotional Studebaker toy cars to give to customers. They were from Studebaker. I remember getting to take one home to play with and keep. I would dearly love to be able to find some of these original promotional toy Studebakers. Anybody know of any? Roger
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Just a little note on the promos as I collect them when I can find them in good condition and reasonable cost. The 1960 and earlier models have problems with the plastic warping. The '61 and new hold up much better. Obviously, for as old as these models are, they come in various conditions and cost. Unless you find someone who just wants to get rid of one (it happens), expect to pay between $30 to $150 depending on color and condition.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I used to live near twin brothers whose dad worked for a Chev dealer, and had been a small town Chev dealer previously. These guys had CASES of promo models! All early '50's as I remember.

Dwain G.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Did they ever make an Avanti promo?
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

No. I think 1962 was the last year for promos.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

I have promos, but I bought them fairly recently, mostly off eBay. I should have bought them years ago when they were cheap, but there is no reason to wait - they will only get more expensive. This subject makes me think of our local dealer, Knight's Garage. They would line up the promos on the show window sills. At the end of the model year, they wouldn't give or sell them. They destroyed them (outdated model cars).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I have promos, but I bought them fairly recently, mostly off eBay. I should have bought them years ago when they were cheap, but there is no reason to wait - they will only get more expensive. This subject makes me think of our local dealer, Knight's Garage. They would line up the promos on the show window sills. At the end of the model year, they wouldn't give or sell them. They destroyed them (outdated model cars).

Comment

To Studegary, Where did you get your recent Studebaker promo cars from? Name & address or eMail please. Also, sounds foolish to me that the dealer would have destroyed the promo cars at the end of each year instead of saving them or giving them to some kids. Roger

Comment

Navy, these things show up on Ebay on a regular basis. Also, if you check at your local hobby store, you'll usually find flyers around the store entrance for various local toy shows. Keep in mind that older promos are considerably harder to find than newer ones.

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Navy1

To Studegary, Where did you get your recent Studebaker promo cars from? Name & address or eMail please. Also, sounds foolish to me that the dealer would have destroyed the promo cars at the end of each year instead of saving them or giving them to some kids. Roger
                      I am sorry, but I don't have any names, addresses or e-mails for them. I just watch eBay and swap meets and if I see one that I like, I buy it. I agree that it was stupid for the dealer to destroy them, but that's the way the Knight brothers were - you had to know them. It was, and is, common for dealers to destroy outdated sales items, especially literature and signs. Often an employee gets them on their (the items) way to the dumpster.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Roger,
                        FYI, A member of my local East Carolina SDC chapter is big on Studebaker toy and models, even published a book.

The book Studebaker Toys and Models, A Pictorial Overview by Jim Geary which was published in 1990 by Good Printers is a "must have" for any serious collector of miniature Studebakers. He lives in Goldsboro, NC.

Comment

Working...
                        X