PDA

View Full Version : Oil galley plug left out of new engine

kelmbaker
01-22-2006, 06:37 PM
The new 304.5 is installed and has less than stellar oil pressure. To cut to the chase the oil galley plug in the dist. hole was left out. What size and thread is the plug? Is there any way of replacing the plug through the dist. hole? What other methods are there? Any help is appreciated.

Kelly J. Marion

kelmbaker@msn.com

Kelly J. Marion

Alan
01-22-2006, 07:48 PM
The only oil galley plug that I can think of is the one on the drivers side of the block in the rear behind a 1 1/4" freeze plug about 2" in past the dist. It is 3/8" X 18 taper pipe plug and the only way to get to it is by removing the pan and having a long allen wrench and skinny hands or removing the trans, bellhousing, flywheel ect and getting to it that way.

rockne10
01-22-2006, 07:52 PM
We made this same oversight in my 51 years ago.:(
I can tell you the shop pulled the engine, replaced the plug through the distributor access and installed and had it running the same day.
A resourceful mechanic can accomplish the feat. I believe it's a freeze type plug without threads but sorry I don't know it's specs.
I'm sure someone else here can shed some light.

kelmbaker
01-22-2006, 08:13 PM
I was afraid that I would have to pull the tranny, etc... to get to the welch plug giving access to the pipe plug. I can see the threaded hole where the plug is supposed to reside down into the dist. hole. That is what is so frustrating. There must be a way to work withing the dist. hole to screw in that plug. I'm checking the shop manual to see if it shows the plug.

km

Kelly J. Marion

Transtar60
01-22-2006, 09:32 PM
Kelly,
I have a few engines sitting the garage and went and looked in the distributor silo of a 289 block. The plug is a pipe plug, I believe 3/8" pipe plug(Stude# G 444866 Plug,oil distributor line end) hex (Allen)and looks like you could use a 3/8 drive ratchet with a allen socket to turn it in. The pain will come in getting it started. With the ratchet down in the silo, you will only get a few degrees at a time. Seems to me, there are flexible extensions available now that would let you ratchet from above, once you get the plug started. It will probably be possible but require patience, dexterity, and a few words.

Transtar60
01-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Kelly,
Went and looked at a 289 block I have in the garage.
Its a pipe plug(3/8" hex,allen) . It looks possible using a 3/8 drive ratchet with an Allen socket to install it from above. Having the ratchet in the silo will only allow a few degrees of turn at a time.
The trick will be getting it started. There are also flexible extensions(Craftsman??) that may allow you to ratchet from above the silo. Will require some patience and dexterity but it looks possible.

kelmbaker
01-22-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm going to try it. Thanks everyone, I'll let you know what happens.
KM

Kelly J. Marion

curt
01-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Sometimes placing a wood platform( a few 2x4's) across the fenders from left to right makes working from above easier. Watch the paint.

55Commander
01-24-2006, 01:57 PM
The first shop to work on my 289 did the same thing, I was furious.
Good thing I still had it on the engine stand when I found out.

I now make a point of pre-lubing all engines with a drill on the
floor just in case it happens again.

BRUCESTUDE
01-26-2006, 12:59 PM
I WENT THROUGH THIS LAST YEAR ON A NEWLY REBUILT 232, MY GOOF, BUT HONESTLY, THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME THE MACHINIST TOOK ONE OF THESE OUT! ANYWAY, IT TOOK BETTER PART OF A DAY TO GET IT IN THROUGH THE DIST. HOLE.. AS STATED ABOVE, THE TRICK IS GETTING IT STARTED!!
FIRST, STUFF A RAG IN THE HOLE IN CASE YOU DROP IT! I THEN MADE A HEX ADAPTER, CUT FROM AN OLD ALLEN WRENCH, AND INSERTED INTO A 1/4" DRIVE SOCKET. I USED PERMATEX TO STICK IT TO THE PLUG, TO LESSEN THE CHANCE OF SOMETHING FALLING DOWN. THE DIST. HOLE IS SO NARROW, IT'S HARD TO GET MORE THAN 1 "CLICK" FROM THE RATCHET.
ALSO, RIG UP A GOOD PLACE TO STAND; I TOOK OUT THE RADIATOR.[B)]