PDA

View Full Version : 6 & 8 cyl 12 volt starters

pszikszai
01-21-2006, 05:45 AM
Can they be interchanged?
If not what can be used from a 6 cyl starter to fix up an 8 cylinder one.
I have some 6 cyl starters but only 8 cyl cars.
These are all 12 volts.
All are for automatic transmissions.
I have both delco and autolite.
Thanks
Paul

Roscomacaw
01-21-2006, 02:54 PM
No.:( Nothing's gonna change between Delco and Autolite (except whole starters![:I]) Little stuff like brushes, brush holders and springs will (to some extent) interchange within one brand. Looks like alot of the Auto-lite used one bendix drive whereas the Delcos used two drives between 5 starters.
Without knowing exactly WHAT starter and WHAT parts you wanna swap around, the answers are endless or non-existant.[xx(] But by and large, you're not going to swap one or two parts and make a 6 starter work on a V8 car. Maybe Dwain will chime in here if he knows I'm wrong. I've not dealt much with the late 6cylinder stuff.[}:)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Alan
01-21-2006, 04:10 PM
A number of years back I used to go to a friends that rebuilt starters and generators and would go through his stuff to find 48-52 Caddy ambulance Delco starters. Then take the Stude Delco nose and put it on the Cad housing. With a big pile of starters it was still a treasure hunt. Now I go to the swap meet and buy one of the Ford or Chevy mini atarters and take a 6" diam. X 1 1/2" piece of aluminum and make my own adapter for the stude.

studegary
01-21-2006, 04:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Alan

A number of years back I used to go to a friends that rebuilt starters and generators and would go through his stuff to find 48-52 Caddy ambulance Delco starters. Then take the Stude Delco nose and put it on the Cad housing. With a big pile of starters it was still a treasure hunt. Now I go to the swap meet and buy one of the Ford or Chevy mini atarters and take a 6" diam. X 1 1/2" piece of aluminum and make my own adapter for the stude.

I used to use the housings, including field coils, from straight eight GM cars, but these were all six volts. The question is about 12 volt applications.

pszikszai
01-21-2006, 04:55 PM
I had no intention to swap parts between makes.
I no longer have a problem with Delco.
I still have 3 Auto-Lite starters with # "MBG 4113 6P" on the tag
and # "MBG 4113 9P" on the tag.
Does anyone know if these can be made to work on a V8 and how?
Thanks
Paul

Alan
01-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Gary, The 6 Volt starter works better than the 12 and everything inside is bigger, as long as you do not grind and grind on them they will last in a 12 V. application a long time.

studegary
01-22-2006, 02:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Alan

Gary, The 6 Volt starter works better than the 12 and everything inside is bigger, as long as you do not grind and grind on them they will last in a 12 V. application a long time.

Yes, I agree and have much experience with them. I was mainly trying to turn the thread back to the 12 volt starters that the original poster was asking about.

GTtim
01-22-2006, 06:14 PM
MBG 4113 starters were used in '61 on 6 cylinder cars. You may be able to use the case with the field coils and brushes, but the armature, nose and bendix would probably be specific to the V-8's. At least that's what I found out for my '64.
Tim K.

Mr. Dan0
01-22-2006, 08:02 PM

[u]SO you can use the 6volt and hook up a 12 volt battery? Then what change the bulbs?</u>

Roscomacaw
01-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Yes, you can expect long life outta that 6volt starter on 12 volts.;) there's not even an issue with the polarity change to negative ground when switching to 12volts. The starter doesn't care - it just spins faster! You'll need a 12volt solenoid tho.;)
But the other electrical items on the car - THEY care![}:)] bulbs, heater-defroster motors, O/D components, electrically operated instruments (generator and regulator, of course), horns, electric wipers (if you have them) - they'll all care about a voltage upgrade.[B)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Bunzard
01-25-2006, 01:07 AM
Paul as I read your question it was would 6 CYLINDER starters mix with V8 starters. Most of the replies seem to be adressing 6 VOLT units. Did I miss a gear somewhere? I do have a checked out starter from a '64 259 in my surplus parts if you need one.

pszikszai
01-25-2006, 08:42 AM
The replies received somewhat went off track from my original question.
I was mainly interested to know if I can use the Autolite 6 cylinder starters in a V8.
I have determined that it cannot be done, because the neck of the 6 cylinder Autolite is longer then the V8.
I was succesful in converting some Delco by changing the nose.
Having just retired I am busying myself with rebuilding engines and mechanical stuff in the winter.
I now have 10 starters that I rebuilt and they should last longer than me.
Thank you all for assistance.
Paul