This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 More Question

When did Studebaker switch from 6 volt to 12 volt and/or how do I tell if a car is 6 volt or 12 volt? Do I run from 6 volt?
    Thanks

1955: last year for 6-volt, positive ground.
    1956 and up: 12-volt, negative ground. BP

quote:Originally posted by MacMyers

When did Studebaker switch from 6 volt to 12 volt and/or how do I tell if a car is 6 volt or 12 volt? Do I run from 6 volt?
    Thanks
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MacMyers

how do I tell if a car is 6 volt or 12 volt?
      Have someone look at the battery for you. It will usually be found under the hood, where the engine is. It will be a big, usually black, square/rectangular box-like thing, but it doesn't have a lid. It will have the two biggest wires going to it. A 6 volt battery has three little plastic round thingies on top, a 12 volt has 6 little round thingies, or two rectangular plastic thingies. (If it has 4 little plastic round thingies, it is a 6V system, and somebody has installed an 8V battery.)

quoteo I run from 6 volt?
      I wouldn't, unless I thought it was about to blow up, or I wanted to run a 12V assessory.

Good luck with your project!!

Dave's Place
      Studebaker Emporium
      sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

Six volt systems were dependably used for the first six decades of this century and, if properly maintained, will continue to operate as intended.
        There may be reasons to consider a twelve volt system but they have nothing to do with dependability, more with comfort: stereos, air conditioning, etc.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If it is a 6 volt battery, try to determine if the battery cables are of a VERY HEAVY gauge, i.e., thicker than you have ever seen a battery cable before. If they look like typical battery cables, chances are someone has replaced them with cables intended for a 12 volt system. WARNING: You will need the heavy gauge cables if you stay with 6 volts, as they must carry much more current (amperage) than cables for a 12 volt system would carry, in order to power the starter.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon
          Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Working...
          X