PDA

View Full Version : 1 More Question

MacMyers
01-20-2006, 01:11 PM
When did Studebaker switch from 6 volt to 12 volt and/or how do I tell if a car is 6 volt or 12 volt? Do I run from 6 volt?
Thanks

BobPalma
01-20-2006, 01:31 PM
1955: last year for 6-volt, positive ground.
1956 and up: 12-volt, negative ground. BP

quote:Originally posted by MacMyers

When did Studebaker switch from 6 volt to 12 volt and/or how do I tell if a car is 6 volt or 12 volt? Do I run from 6 volt?
Thanks

Studedude
01-20-2006, 08:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by MacMyers

how do I tell if a car is 6 volt or 12 volt?

Have someone look at the battery for you. It will usually be found under the hood, where the engine is. It will be a big, usually black, square/rectangular box-like thing, but it doesn't have a lid. It will have the two biggest wires going to it. A 6 volt battery has three little plastic round thingies on top, a 12 volt has 6 little round thingies, or two rectangular plastic thingies. (If it has 4 little plastic round thingies, it is a 6V system, and somebody has installed an 8V battery.)

quote:Do I run from 6 volt?I wouldn't, unless I thought it was about to blow up, or I wanted to run a 12V assessory.

Good luck with your project!!

Dave's Place
Studebaker Emporium
www.davesplaceinc.com

rockne10
01-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Six volt systems were dependably used for the first six decades of this century and, if properly maintained, will continue to operate as intended.
There may be reasons to consider a twelve volt system but they have nothing to do with dependability, more with comfort: stereos, air conditioning, etc.

DilloCrafter
01-21-2006, 12:37 AM
If it is a 6 volt battery, try to determine if the battery cables are of a VERY HEAVY gauge, i.e., thicker than you have ever seen a battery cable before. If they look like typical battery cables, chances are someone has replaced them with cables intended for a 12 volt system. WARNING: You will need the heavy gauge cables if you stay with 6 volts, as they must carry much more current (amperage) than cables for a 12 volt system would carry, in order to power the starter.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/current_AvaCar.gif