This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57, 58 Hawk Wieand intake manifold?

I have a Wieand aluminum intake manifold. It looks exactly like the manifold on the 57 or 58 Hawk engines I have. It is a 4 barrel manifold. Has no Holes at the base to bolt to engine. Did any of the Hawks run with 4 barrell carbs.
    I am going to sell this manifold but not sure how to list it..If some one would like a picture let me know.
    Thanks for your help.
    Don.

Looking at the shop manuel it shows the four barrell carb manifold.
    With the supercharger did they use a two barrel carb?
    sigpic
    58 Golden Hawk
    DSamborski
    Pillager, MN

Comment

'57/'58 Golden Hawks and '57 Packards, '58 Packard Hawks (all SCed) used 2bbl carbs

Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

PLEASE SEND PICS! very interested

njnagel at comcast dot net

If it doesn't have any holes it may be earlier than you think, the very first V-8 engines did not have holes as they used two large clamps on each side to hold the manifold down. I guess the only thing to check is that it is really a stude manifold not an early Caddy 331 manifold - they look identical but there are some minor differences and the ports don't 100% line up.

Does it have a WCFB or AFB flange?

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        62 Daytona hardtop
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Sorry... I don't know what WCFB or AFB flanges are.
          sigpic
          58 Golden Hawk
          DSamborski
          Pillager, MN

Comment

Dan,
            The early/early Stude V8 intake manifolds were held down with a clamp on each side, so there were no bolt holes. The bolt holes were only at the 4 corners anyways, as they ran in slots for the center 4 bolts...
            But..... I have never seen a Weiand V8 4bbl intake manifold. Offenhauser's yes. Weiand dual deuce (two 2bbl carbs) intakes yes...
            Smoljan triple deuce yes...
            But a Weiand V8 4bbl... No. I'd love to see a picture of one.
            It probably will have real small runners, as this was designed for a 223 V8 engine... But... Ya' never know!
            If it looks like a '58 (or later Hawk V8, then it should have the bolt holes out at the end.
            All the early 50's intakes used a very small base mount carb that has not been built in decades. Most newer carbs (AFB = 'aluminum 4 barrel : Edelbrock), or the WCFB = 'white cast 4 barrel (also not built in decades) have the bolt pattern that will fit the later model Stude V8 intake manifold (1958 to 1964). A Holley carb will only bolt onto one model Stude V8 intake (a late '63/4 wide base intake)...or you have to use an adapter.
            I have pic's of a lot of different manifolds up on Webshots, but their site has been messed up do to their recent upgrade...
            You can try to go there and look at:

(and look around at the other albums)
            If you need to have your manifold prepped for a later model carb, I can help you with the machining work (shameless plug)
            Hope the info helps.
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by don samborski

I have a Wieand aluminum intake manifold. It looks exactly like the manifold on the 57 or 58 Hawk engines I have. It is a 4 barrel manifold. Has no Holes at the base to bolt to engine. Did any of the Hawks run with 4 barrell carbs.
            I am going to sell this manifold but not sure how to list it..If some one would like a picture let me know.
            Thanks for your help.
            Don.

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
            Ocala, FL.
            '37 Coupe Express
            '37 Coupe Express Trailer
            '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Well I'll be... It is a Weiand V8 intake!
              Good luck selling it.
              I am sure it will find a good home.
              Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
              Ocala, FL.
              '37 Coupe Express
              '61 Hawk

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Jeff, I got his pics, and asked for some dimensions as well. It looks almost exactly like the Offenhauser manifold (that they never made...) that I was carrying around at South Bend last year, with the exception of the name, and the lack of end bolt holes.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                62 Daytona hardtop
                --
                55 Commander Starlight

Comment

There are a few minor differences.
                  Definitely not the same foundry or mold.
                  You can tell the mold is Weiand when comparing it to a Weiand dual deuce intake.
                  Still a small runner intake, but a nostalgia piece for sure.
                  A late model 4bbl (or conversion) manifold will outperform it, but for looks......
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Jeff, I got his pics, and asked for some dimensions as well. It looks almost exactly like the Offenhauser manifold (that they never made...) that I was carrying around at South Bend last year, with the exception of the name, and the lack of end bolt holes.
                  nate
                  DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                  Ocala, FL.
                  '37 Coupe Express
                  '61 Hawk

Jeff

Comment

Sort of on this topic... did anyone see the '55 Offy brochure on (unspecified auction site) right now? I'm tempted to buy the darn thing just to prove that the Stude manifold really existed... :P

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    62 Daytona hardtop
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                    X