This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 International location-your thoughts

The Keystone Region wishes to host the 2008 International Meet. We last hosted Gettysburg in 1980.
    We will decide on a recommendation to the International Meet Committee at a meeting to be held on January 28.
    We have reduced our locations to two and solicit your thoughts to assist in our deliberation.

Lancaster-in the heart of factory outlet shopping and Amish country

Gettysburg-a stone's throw from the birthplace of the Studebaker Brothers and in the heart of...well, Gettysburg

Either location will offer excursions to the other.
    Both sites offer excellent accomodations with ample parking on site.

Hershey, "The Sweetest Place On Earth". This also has Hershey Park and other things related to the land of chocolate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Looked at, too expensive. Excursions to Hersey will be planned.
      Please limit response to Lancaster or Gettysburg.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I'm pretty sure Hershey WASN'T a choice. My vote would be Gettysburg, wish I could go to the meeting......other conflict.....

1955 President

Job: Student @ Penn State
        Love of Studebakers?: High

Comment

I have to admit I don't look forward to driving my bullet to either locale; I can't use the turnpike and there's just too much slurb to get through, especially to a Lancaster destination. Rockne, I'm surprised you weren't able to persuade the Chapter to try State College-- the Penn Stater would have been an ideal spot.

But I know that's not now on the table, if it ever was...

I'm sure I won't drive to Lancaster, so by default I vote for Gettysburg.

51 Commander State Sedan

Kittanning, PA

51 Commander State Sedan
          Butler PA

Comment

I'd vote for Gettysburg.

Factory outlet shopping means zero, zilch, nada to me (never set foot in one), and if want to visit a quaint religious commune, there's a Hutterite colony scarcely 10 miles up the road from me.[8D]

The historical significance of Gettysburg is not lost even on we Canadians.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Since Studebaker made wagons for the Army of the Potomac...Gettysburg would have a nice historical connection.

Of course, if you go to Hersey you could reminince about the Hersey bar that went behind the seat of dad's 51 when you were a kid.
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

No offense, but I'd like to think some imagination could be used. As mentioned, outlet malls mean nothing. Having been to Gettysburg, and even being a bit of a Civil War buff, it's still just a large (battle)field. And while the city is getting larger, there is still nothing other than the large field to draw me there.

Hershey was an example of a place that had numerous things to see and do. I'm not sure if there's a whole lot to draw people to Harrisburg either.

Too bad your chapter doesn't come closer to Pittsburgh or Philly (or Baltimore for that matter).This isn't a rip on your area, but if I'm going to drive 10 hours to that area, tell me what we'll see. What is a 'can't miss' thing to see or do? The battlefield can only hold your attention so long.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
                Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I vote for Lancaster. There are a variety of things to see and do right nearby and side trips to Gettysburg or Hershey, for those interested, would not be hard to do.

Comment

Gettysburg, much less congestion . Trips to Hershey etc will be fun. I lived 18 miles west of Gettysburg for 11 + years,Waynesboro, PA. Read he Book Killers Angels, great book on Gettysburg. Easy reading, brings the history into focus.

Comment

My preference would be Gettesburg , hands down . Plan to drive a stude as well
                      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Hi
                        Though you may have narrowed the choices to those two locations, I'd like to suggest another.

Please consider the Williamsport area. It doesn't suffer from the traffic congestion of Lancaster, but has good interstate access.
                        As activities of interest for attendees, I would like to suggest daily driving tours on state and county roads to local attractions. Although I don't live there, I have visited the region and it seems a good location for this type of meet.

I am a member of the East Grand Packards chapter of The Packard Club. When we hosted the National Meet in 2001 at Canandaigua, New York, daily driving tours provided attendees with the chance to drive local state roads at an unhurried pace. The area is Finger Lakes country with scenic open roads, unlike the driving experience of suburbanized areas that are old car unfriendly. We still get positive feedback from attendees, most asking when we will host another National in this area.

Hope you will seriously consider this suggestion.
                        Regards
                        Steve

Comment

Nah, Gettysburg is too far. It should be in my town in Minnesota, so I'll be SURE to get to go!! And while I'm dreaming, I'd like a brand new 1957 Silver Hawk in wedgewood blue.
                          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Gettysburg, not shopping at a mall. I attend to see Studebakers and to visit with Stude friends. I can shop at the swap meet, a better use of my limited budget.

Would love more workshop sessions led by Stude experts.

Comment

Hey I heard through the grape vine that the Packard club is hosting their National meet the same time as the museum in 2007 at South bend. Is this true ?
                              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                              X