This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mylar inserts

I had a name of someone that could supply me with the Mylar insert for my 58 Hawk.But I lost it... S.I. does not show it.
    The color is pink....And I know I will get some neg feed back on this. But my dad had the car delivered from factory with the Pink inserts...Golden Hawk not Packard Hawk. The dealer didn't install it.

Maybe it was after... i don't see anything special on the build order. I do remember when it arrived at the dealership..and as much as i can remember it had it on from day one.
    BUT.....CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE OR WHO HANDLES THE MYLR?? THANKS,

quote:Originally posted by don samborski

I had a name of someone that could supply me with the Mylar insert for my 58 Hawk.But I lost it... S.I. does not show it.
    The color is pink....And I know I will get some neg feed back on this. But my dad had the car delivered from factory with the Pink inserts...Golden Hawk not Packard Hawk. The dealer didn't install it.
    What does the build order say about this unique feature?

Perhaps your father had the car delivered from an authorized dealer, rather than "delivered from the factory." In this case, perhaps the dealer installed the Mylar and not the factory. The build order would say if it is a special factory option or if the car was pulled off the line for the Engineering Department, or some other area, to make this deviation. My first guess is that it was done after the car left the factory, but the build order would put that question to rest.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Give Phantom Auto Works a try. Click on their site from the vendors page.

Comment

I don't mean to question your assertion that this car had pink mylar from new, but are you aware that the original gold mylar as used on the Packard Hawks has a tendency to develop a pink tint over time? I don't want someone with an originally gold mylar to think it was pink originally just because it looks pink now.
        As for availability of the gold mylar, Phantom has it as does SI and I just sent a roll of the original stuff back to John Poulos so he at least has enough for one car.

Mike

Comment

No. It was originally Pink...I even have a picture with me by the car in 1959 with the Pink fins.
          Thanks for input... I went to Phantom web...they don't have an email address?
          sigpic
          58 Golden Hawk
          DSamborski
          Pillager, MN

Comment

I contacted Phantom and they said it didn't exist.. I am sending them a sample and the Picture taken when the car was new with the pink fins. Maybe they can find the material.
            sigpic
            58 Golden Hawk
            DSamborski
            Pillager, MN

Comment

I do have enough NOS Packard Hawk Fin mylar for one car, but it's the factory gold. $200 delivered pre ebay. It's very rare apparently.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
              64 GT Hawk
              64 R2 4 speed Challenger
              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
              53 Street rod
              JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP
                I AM SENDING SOME SAMPLES OF ORIGINAL MATERIAL TO A COUPLE PLACES TO SEE IF THEY CAN GET IT OR MAKE IT...IF NOT I MAY GO WITH THE GOLD YOU HAVE.... BUT THEN IT WOULDN'T ORIGINAL.
                DON
                sigpic
                58 Golden Hawk
                DSamborski
                Pillager, MN

Comment

I can pretty much assure you that any mylar on a Golden Hawk was added later.

64 GT Hawk
                  64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                  63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                  53 Street rod
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I can pretty much assure you that any mylar on a Golden Hawk was added later.

64 GT Hawk
                    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                    53 Street rod
                    Have you heard of any other dealerships adding it back then?
                    sigpic
                    58 Golden Hawk
                    DSamborski
                    Pillager, MN

Comment

Don,

A dealer might do ANYTHING if he thought it would sell a car and not void anything as far as the warranty went!

PINK Mylar! You can buy paint now that you can spray over chrome to achieve a tinted metallic look. I know they sell a red as well as yellow, blue & green. Get some silver Mylar and give it a light coat of this clear red paint. I doubt you're gonna find PINK Mylar for any applicqation, let alone your car.

As JDP hints, it's NOT factory and it's NOT approved dealer optional. If it WAS pink when new, it was because someone got the dealer to do some custom work to make it so.
                      Silver and Gold Mylars were used on some 50's Studes and Packards although more of it was integrated with the interior than as decor for the outside.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Have you pulled the stainless trim off the fins? Is the mylar pink under the stainless trim? That would have been quite a job for a dealer to pull the stainless then cut and fit the mylar and replace the stainless.
                        I do believe that Plymouth in 1957 had a gold mylar insert as well as Studebaker and Packard.
                        I agree with the other that are saying that if this was done then it was a dealer item. If it had been done by the factory it would have been noted on the production order.
                        Sounds like an interesting car, can you post a picture?

Mike

Comment

Are your pics of the Hawk in color? What color is the car body? Interior?

Dwain G.
                          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Are your pics of the Hawk in color? What color is the car body? Interior?

Dwain G.
                            The car was originaly "Parchment white" I Upholstrey was vinyl trim in brown with gold cloth insert... I remember it looked like a nylon twist,,, quite pretty.\
                            I'd post a picture...but I can't figure out how to do it.
                            sigpic
                            58 Golden Hawk
                            DSamborski
                            Pillager, MN

Comment

Working...
                            X