PDA

View Full Version : electric wiper motor conversion

doctormap
01-18-2006, 02:04 PM
I am thinking of putting in an electric windshield wiper motor in place of the vacuum motor in my '48 Champion, as I have heard a lot of unhappy stories about vacuum wiper motors. I plan to use my car as a daily driver, so I am concerned about safety.
I would like to know if anyone has done this before, and has advice for or against this. I was thinking it might be easier to do the mechanics if I used an electric motor from the same period, say, from a '51 or '52 Champion. Do these years still use the wire cables, or do they use connecting arms?

doctormap
'48 Champion 4-door

Roscomacaw
01-18-2006, 02:45 PM
They dropped the wire & cable setup after 1950. Electric wipers (from what I've seen) were more the rule than the exception starting with their being introduced in '51.
While I've never considered the swap (I've never owned a '50 or earlier that I drove or fixed up - but I have parted some out), I don't know how readily the electric unit could be adapted. The cowl's set up differrently starting in '51, to accomodate going to arms as opposed to cables. Can't visualize how well a 51-2 setup would adapt but that might be the easiest arrangement to try to use. This because the windshield geometry is basically the same for '47 thru '52 cars.:D
And then - there's always the option of adapting some Brand X wiper setup.;) Are you staying with 6 volts or going 12[?]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

doctormap
01-18-2006, 04:20 PM
At this time, I am planning to stick with 6 volts, plans are to purchase a new 6-volt alternator to give me more amperage and help eliminate battery charging troubles.

doctormap
'48 Champion 4-door

CHAMP
01-18-2006, 05:04 PM
doctormap, I HAVE A 48 CHAMPION ALSO AND MY PLAN IS TO LOOK FOR A DOUBLE ACTION FUEL PUMP. IF THAT FAILS I WILL LOOK FOR A 6-VOLT VAC. PUMP AND IF I CAN'NT FIND ONE OF THEM I'LL GET A 12/VOLT VAC. PUMP AND RUN IT OF AUX. 12-VOLT BAT. IN TRUNK. CHAMP:)

Swifster
01-18-2006, 05:52 PM
Doc, I don't know about a 6 volt set up, but if you decide to switch to 12 volt, New Port Engineering sells an electric wiper conversion for '37-'55 Studes with vacuum wipers. Cost is a little over $200.

New Port Engineering = http://www.newportwipers.com/app_main.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

garyash
01-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Gee, I just happen to have dual action fuel pump and the correct adapter for a Champ 6 engine. I had planned to use it on my '48 M5 truck, but the truck frame gets in the way of the fuel bowl. It should work OK on a car though. Want to try it? Email me if you do.

With vacuum wiper motors in good shape,
(see http://www.wiperman.com)
and a dual action fuel pump for vacuum, you should be fine for driving in rain. Are you planning on driving all day in heavy rain in a '48 Studebaker, LOL?

Gary Ash
Dartmouth, MA
'48 M5
'65 Wagonaire Commander
'63 Wagonaire Standard
www.studegarage.com

gecoe
01-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Your plans involve way too much effort! I found the answer for my 50's vacuum wiper issues at flaps. It's called RainX. After using it you'll only turn on the wipers for their novelty effect.

Gerry

doctormap
01-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Thank you for all of your information. I may decide to keep the current setup, and see how well it works, (with Rain-X) before I dive into any major remodeling.

doctormap
'48 Champion 4-door