PDA

View Full Version : First voyage

Coop
01-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Set out on my first voyage with the 53 Champ sedan. After charging the battery for 20 minutes or so, I fired her up and she idled pretty well. After a 5 minute warm up, (its 37 degrees here in Illinois) I set out for a trip around town. First thing I noticed is the amp guage was ticking at low RPMs...HMMMM, must need a generator. No problem, I'l stay close to home base. Next thing I know I am miles from home base, but the Champ is doing fine. Turning a corner, I drop it into second gear, accellerate back to 35 mph and return to third gear. About one mile from home I dropped it back in first to negotiate a stop sign. (Grinding sound) HMMMM must not have a synchro on first gear. Off again, the clutch feels pretty good.......gotta be cool now, power shift here I go...... I didn't really power shift it, but I couldn't resist the Beach Boys line. "Second gear where are you?" I could not get the car back in second, so I nursed it along in first. About a block from home base, I found third gear again, but I was too slow and it died. Remember the ticking amp guage? Dead battery! A little cool, but a nice day for a short walk. Not a lot of "sure feel" in that shifting linkage.

Coop

Alan
01-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Welcome to the world of Studebakering. All in a regular day for a Stude owner, only thing that didn't happen is running out of gas with 1/4 tank still showing. There are rubber grommets on the arms at the steering column and at the transmission selector arms. They are 50+ years old and oil, sun and going through the gears all this time will be a little sloppy if there at all. They are cheep, get them from a vendor then let us know what tranny is in it and if you still have problens. T-86, T89? Look on the case on the drivers side center, right below the top cover and the top cover will have either 4 bolts or 6.

Coop
01-18-2006, 01:40 PM
I never checked to see it the overdrive was engaged or partially engaged. Would this effect the gear selection?

quote:Originally posted by Alan

Welcome to the world of Studebakering. All in a regular day for a Stude owner, only thing that didn't happen is running out of gas with 1/4 tank still showing. There are rubber grommets on the arms at the steering column and at the transmission selector arms. They are 50+ years old and oil, sun and going through the gears all this time will be a little sloppy if there at all. They are cheep, get them from a vendor then let us know what tranny is in it and if you still have problens. T-86, T89? Look on the case on the drivers side center, right below the top cover and the top cover will have either 4 bolts or 6.

Coop

Roscomacaw
01-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Since it's a Champion, it's likely a T-96 trans.
Coop, does this car have overdrive??? Is there a knob along the lower edge of the dash that says "OD" on it?

As Alan says, you may have worn gromments on either end of the shifter rods. You could also be facing tired motor mounts that have sagged with age to where they've got the shifter rods maladjusted by virtue of the whole engine-tranny assemblage not properly aligned. OR the rods themselves just might need adusting. There's a clevis on the lower ends of the rods. You loosen the jamb nut, pull out the pin that secures the clevis to the shifter arm on the tranny and push the shifter arm back and forth until you determine it's in neutral. Do this with both shifter arms at the same time.
Then work your shift lever inside the car to where it's dead center in it's "H" pattern. This should put the levers at the base of the steering column pretty much aligned with one another.
Now, back under the car again, screw the clevis on the 1st-Rev rod until it will align perfectly with the 1st-Rev. lever on the tranny. Reinsert it's pin and cotter pin. Now do the same with the 2nd - 3rd rod and it's respective shift lever.
With this realignment (considering the little rubber bushings are in decent shape and none of the shifter hardware in the column is too worn, the car should shift without getting hung between gears.

You're assumption is correct in that there's no synchro on 1st gear. However, IF your Champion has overdrive and it's working properly, you'd be able to downshift into 2nd or 1st when travelling less than 25MPH without even using the clutch! Plus modern road speeds will be alot easier and economical.;)
The car may not necessarily need a generator. It could well be the regulator's got a problem. Your ammeter should show a positive charge - especially right after cranking the car.

With the car not running - when you turn the lights on - does the ammeter show a discharge[?]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Coop
01-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Yes, it does have OD. Could an engaged or partially engaged OD be my shifting problem[?]

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Since it's a Champion, it's likely a T-96 trans.
Coop, does this car have overdrive??? Is there a knob along the lower edge of the dash that says "OD" on it?

As Alan says, you may have worn gromments on either end of the shifter rods. You could also be facing tired motor mounts that have sagged with age to where they've got the shifter rods maladjusted by virtue of the whole engine-tranny assemblage not properly aligned. OR the rods themselves just might need adusting. There's a clevis on the lower ends of the rods. You loosen the jamb nut, pull out the pin that secures the clevis to the shifter arm on the tranny and push the shifter arm back and forth until you determine it's in neutral. Do this with both shifter arms at the same time.
Then work your shift lever inside the car to where it's dead center in it's "H" pattern. This should put the levers at the base of the steering column pretty much aligned with one another.
Now, back under the car again, screw the clevis on the 1st-Rev rod until it will align perfectly with the 1st-Rev. lever on the tranny. Reinsert it's pin and cotter pin. Now do the same with the 2nd - 3rd rod and it's respective shift lever.
With this realignment (considering the little rubber bushings are in decent shape and none of the shifter hardware in the column is too worn, the car should shift without getting hung between gears.

You're assumption is correct in that there's no synchro on 1st gear. However, IF your Champion has overdrive and it's working properly, you'd be able to downshift into 2nd or 1st when travelling less than 25MPH without even using the clutch! Plus modern road speeds will be alot easier and economical.;)
The car may not necessarily need a generator. It could well be the regulator's got a problem. Your ammeter should show a positive charge - especially right after cranking the car.

With the car not running - when you turn the lights on - does the ammeter show a discharge[?]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Coop

Roscomacaw
01-18-2006, 04:21 PM
I don't think so. With the handle pushed IN, it's in the O/D mode. With it pulled out, it drives just like a regular 3spd transmission.
IF the O/D is in working order, after you get the car to 35MPH you let off the gas pedal for a few seconds. You should feel a slight drag as the O/D drops in. When you get back on the gas, it'll seem as tho you've shifted to 4th gear!
If you're cruising alon in O/D and you want to pass someone, you push the gas pedal to the floor and it downshifts automatically to straight 3rd. Once you've passed what you wanted to, let back off of the gas pedal again and it drops back into O/D. NO manipulation of the O/D is really necessary if you live in relatively flat terrain - however you wouldn't want to leave it in O/D in mountainous terrain as it essentially eliminates dynamic braking from the engine while you're coasting below 30MPH.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Coop
01-18-2006, 05:33 PM
That would explain the freewheeling effect I felt when I let off of the gas.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I don't think so. With the handle pushed IN, it's in the O/D mode. With it pulled out, it drives just like a regular 3spd transmission.
IF the O/D is in working order, after you get the car to 35MPH you let off the gas pedal for a few seconds. You should feel a slight drag as the O/D drops in. When you get back on the gas, it'll seem as tho you've shifted to 4th gear!
If you're cruising alon in O/D and you want to pass someone, you push the gas pedal to the floor and it downshifts automatically to straight 3rd. Once you've passed what you wanted to, let back off of the gas pedal again and it drops back into O/D. NO manipulation of the O/D is really necessary if you live in relatively flat terrain - however you wouldn't want to leave it in O/D in mountainous terrain as it essentially eliminates dynamic braking from the engine while you're coasting below 30MPH.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Coop

gordr
01-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Regarding the battery, did you install it with the positive terminal grounded? If not, that could be your problem right there. 6 volt Studebakers used positive ground. Now, at some point in its history, the car COULD have been converted to negative ground by a prior owner, but usually that is only done when a car is converted to 12 volts. Kind of pointless, otherwise.

That ticking sounds like the regulator trying to make the generator charge and kicking out again because of wrong polarity.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Blue 15G
01-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Keep in mind also that if you need to push-start the car when your battery is dead, the car must NOT be in overdrive, or it won't start by the push method! Pull the OD handle out toward you first. ;)