PDA

View Full Version : Revive old rubber?

Stude1928Commander
01-17-2006, 07:11 PM
Hi Gang.

I have won a set of Clutch pedal replacement pads off of E-bay.:) They are in perfect condition, except the rubber has hardened over the years and could now be called "Plastic".:(

Is there any product out there the revives rubber to it's original pliable consistency?[?]

Thanks and be safe out there![8D]

Donald Terrien
1928 Commander

N8N
01-17-2006, 07:15 PM
If they are really pristine, instead of trying to use them, why not make a mold of them and cast new ones? I think George Rohrbach has some experience with this, although I am not 100% sure that it was him that had cast some rubber parts. In any case, it can be done...

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
01-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Donald - short answer, NO. There's nothing that's gonna "revive" dried out rubber.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

rockne10
01-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Shrock Brothers in Coalport cast new rubber pads for my Rockne. Yes, they are the ones who make the tiny diecast models. They also reproduce running boards. They may already have the pedal pads you desire in stock.

http://www.shrockbrothers.com/

rusty nut garage
01-18-2006, 09:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by Stude1928Commander

Hi Gang.

I have won a set of Clutch pedal replacement pads off of E-bay.:) They are in perfect condition, except the rubber has hardened over the years and could now be called "Plastic".:(

Is there any product out there the revives rubber to it's original pliable consistency?[?]

Thanks and be safe out there![8D]

Donald Terrien
1928 Commander

Several years ago I purchased some rubber intake boots for a motorcycle that I was working on. The boots were used and very hard. I commented to the parts guy how hard they were and they'd be hard to clamp and seal. He took all 4 of them and tossed them in a 5gal pail f carb cleaner. He left them there for appx 2-4 minutes, rinsed them with water and they were restored back to a pliable state.
You might try this, but caution if left tool long its likely to swell the rubber. Also if the rubber is vulcanized to a metal backing plate it might cause the rubber to unglue from the metal.
Russ

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
57 SH (project)
60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

bills 57 champion
01-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Spray just the pad with brake clean let stand for 10 minutes rinse with water repeat til you like result

brent wood nh