This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing SBC Engine

I have a 57 Hawk with a good running, non smoking 289 engine with a 3 speed OD trans. I would like to take the drivetrain out of it, sell it and install a small block chevy engine with a muncie 4 speed trans. I need the front motor mounts and the rear trans cross member. Has anyone done this before that I could talk to on the phone about this conversion and also could tell me where I could get these mounts.
    Thanks in advance for your help, I am new to this forum but read it and learn a lot from the pros.

midnight1957-
    1) Check your email addie- it's not workin'!
    2) Someone here will get you the info you need- give 'em time!
    3) In the meantime- a)where are you at? b)What else do you know about that motor?

[8D]

StudeDave
    San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
    '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
    '57 Commander 2dr
    '57 Champion 2dr
    '65 Cruiser
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I own a 53 coupe (same layout as your car) with a 383 stroker/Muncie 4 speed and could take some pix of the mounts.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
      64 GT Hawk
      64 R2 4 speed Challenger
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
      53 Street rod
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Wade,
        There is an 'underslung' mount that is used on a '55 to '57 Chevy SBC conversion. Get it at Speedway Automotive...
        Quality Parts for Muscle Car, Hot Rod, Racing & more. Trusted by enthusiasts since 1952 for fast & reliable shipping on affordable parts with expert support.

And for your trans mount crossmember....
        (Figure out the 'drop' you will need and cut one of these to length..
        Quality Parts for Muscle Car, Hot Rod, Racing & more. Trusted by enthusiasts since 1952 for fast & reliable shipping on affordable parts with expert support.

Then all you will need is a set of block hugger headers (I'd go for the stainless steel ones.. I hate rust), and run your exhaust pipes and hook up all the little stuff...
        Driveshaft size is the same as a mid sized Ford, so look for a boneyard station wagon and have it shortened to fit (and balanced).
        Get a trans yoke from Speedway, Jeg's, or Summit Racing.
        Hope the info helps.
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by midnight1957

I have a 57 Hawk with a good running, non smoking 289 engine with a 3 speed OD trans. I would like to take the drivetrain out of it, sell it and install a small block chevy engine with a muncie 4 speed trans. I need the front motor mounts and the rear trans cross member. Has anyone done this before that I could talk to on the phone about this conversion and also could tell me where I could get these mounts.
        Thanks in advance for your help, I am new to this forum but read it and learn a lot from the pros.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

You could put a modern 5 speed behind the Stude V8, there have been several of these coversions and it would be less hassle than doing the SBC deal.

Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

i will be interested in that engine if you want to sell email me with details and price

brent wood nh

Comment

Guys I thought that I had all of my e mail issues resolved, for anyone needing to contact me my e mail address is watereemecser@bellsouth.net my phone number is (803)438-2532, I live in Elgin, SC about 15 miles northeast of Columbia

Thanks, Wade

Comment

Working...
              X