PDA

View Full Version : 55 Electricals

55Prez
01-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Well, With the help of SASCO, I acquired a new armature and got the starter rebuilt. Oddly enough, one of our vendors only lists the drive end bushing. I found that the commutator end bushing is the same one. It just takes a bit of voodoo to replace it. It now spins over like it has a 10 volt behind it (big smile), so I'm satisfied.
However,.... one thing is still haunting this car. When you turn the key to "start", it cranks, as always. It starts, as always, but it doesn't start, unless you let the key go.
You can crank it,till the battery goes dead, but unless you slightly let go of the key, at some point, after you're sure it's got enough in it's lungs, it just cranks.
I originally thought this was due to a timing problem, but it's on spec, runs fine and has a lot of pep.
That leaves the ignition switch, unless someone has another idea. Any suggestions? thx

Roscomacaw
01-16-2006, 05:15 PM
It's the switch.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

N8N
01-16-2006, 07:08 PM
yup, I bet the "ign" contact of the switch is not contacting when you are in the "start" position. You could rig a test light at the coil to test that theory if you want confirmation before you crawl under the dash.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel