PDA

View Full Version : '64 GT Hawks in Avanti Maroon

jtned
01-16-2006, 10:05 AM
South Bend produced at least three '64 GT Hawks painted in Avanti Maroon. Two of those cars have recently surfaced together from 25 year storage in Florida. One of those survivors is an R1 and one is a standard 289. The color was special ordered. The VINs of these two and the third one, not surfaced and another R1, are very close together.

The owners of the two discoveries are curious about production quantity of the Maroon special order. Anybody got any ideas? Could there have been more than 3? Has anybody compiled a '64 GT production summary of color usage? Any help would be appreciated and passed on to the two computer challenged owners. The excellent Fred Fox in April '97 TW did not go into production numbers by color.

jtned

JDP
01-16-2006, 10:19 AM
I could tell you how many Avanti powered ones so painted from the Jet Thrust registry, but not the standard engines.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 GT Hawk
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
53 Street rod

jtned
01-17-2006, 12:47 PM
I have the VINs on the two R1 Hawks in Avanti Maroon and the standard 289. Even reports of sightings over the years would be helpful. I have personally never seen a Maroon '64 GT Hawk.

Editor of the Jet Thrust News. Keeper of Jet Thrust Owners Rosters, JT Production Summaries, Paxton R3/R4 engine roster.

JDP
01-17-2006, 01:18 PM
As I shared by e-mail, I did see one many years ago in South Bend. I can't nail the date down, but it had to be from late 63 to the early 70's. If I had to guess, it would have been at the Freeman Spicer dealership, or at the lot accross from the admin building.
I only recall it because I owned a "new" 63 back then. It could have been a repaint I guess, but it was very pretty. I wonder if the factory would have painted them in the lacquer used on Avanti's or had it custom mixed in enamel.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 GT Hawk
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
53 Street rod