This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Press Kit

Amazing what sums of hard earned cash (if indeed they worked for it)some folks will pay for items on e-bay. A Studebaker press kit introducing the 1963 cars went for 350.00........lord only knows what that individuals highest amount was, as the hammer came down at that figure..the bidding was spirited...people tend to get carried away on e-bay...common sense taking a back seat.

quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

Amazing what sums of hard earned cash (if indeed they worked for it)some folks will pay for items on e-bay. A Studebaker press kit introducing the 1963 cars went for 350.00........lord only knows what that individuals highest amount was, as the hammer came down at that figure..the bidding was spirited...people tend to get carried away on e-bay...common sense taking a back seat.
    I didn't see that particular item, but I don't see where that is "...common sense taking a back seat." If common sense ruled, few of us would have these cars, parts or literature. Last week, I received two factory pictures of a '57 President Classic for $15 from an eBay sale. I wanted them, so it didn't seem like too much. It was probably too much to many others. Please keep in mind that press kits and dealer only items were originally issued in much more limited numbers than general sales literature for the public. If someone really wanted one of these items, there aren't very many available at any price. It was an auction. The price wasn't pre-set and I can't believe that the buyer was forced into bidding. Keep in mind that there was at least one other person that wanted this item alsmost as much and bid it up to that amount.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You take what I said out of context.....as a general rule people get carried away on e-bay...it's the heat of the moment, the rush of adrenaline, the heart pumping like mad ...like the first time one experienced intimacy with their special someone.......yes, supply and demand can and does figure in the equation...but as a general rule people spend way more than they should for any number of products on this site.....local flea markets present a more buyer friendly setting...and one can hondle with the seller...which is the accepted tradition within this arena...add to this the unfortunate action of sellers who utilize shipping as an additional profit center....this is just wrong, and IMHO is out and out theft. You can spin it anyway you desire...but reality is reality. Thank God vendors still venture to York, Pa. to "peddle" their wares...e-bay notwithstanding.

Comment

Working...
      X