PDA

View Full Version : restoration help

ATL-stude
01-15-2006, 08:53 PM
I recently purchased a 1963 lark. It is all original but needs some work. I want to keep it original but when I am done this car will become a weekend driver. If I were to update the factory radio and speakers will this hurt the value real bad. Also if anyone could tell me some good web sites that I could get parts and emblems from or where I can get catalogs to order from I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Swifster
01-15-2006, 10:10 PM
A dash board is a terrible thing to waste. I'd leave the original where it's at and mount an aftermarket unit under the dash. It'll help keep the resale by not tearing up something that is hard to come by. Just my opinion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

studegary
01-15-2006, 10:53 PM
The first thing to do is to join the Studebaker Drivers Club from this web site. You will receive a monthly magazine, Turning Wheels, with all the vendor (NOS, NORS, used, repro parts) contact information.

As far as the radio, put in what you like as long as you don't alter that hard to replace dash/dash pad. Many use a modern radio under their seat that is controlled from a remote unit.

StudeRich
01-15-2006, 11:31 PM
ATL: You will not hurt your Stude's originality or value IF you do not cut holes in the door panels, dash etc.in the process. Just make a radio install plate from flat sheet aluminum or steel, cut the proper size hole in it to mount the CD player/radio unit, make the outside shape the same as your original radio install panel or dummy and the radio will be removable. If that does not work because of radio size, mount it in glove box or under the seat. It will be a lot cheaper to replace the cardboard "kick panels" than door panels or dash if you mount the speakers there.
Studebaker International in Greenfield, IN has catalogs for $3.00, check their website. I sell all the same stuff at studebakersnorthwest.com also. Most Studebaker Drivers' Club members and vendors are very happy to help out a new Stude. owner, we don't get that many these days you know !:D It's only been 40 years since the last new ones were sold!:) Rich.

quote:Originally posted by ATL-stude

I recently purchased a 1963 lark. It is all original but needs some work. I want to keep it original but when I am done this car will become a weekend driver. If I were to update the factory radio and speakers will this hurt the value real bad. Also if anyone could tell me some good web sites that I could get parts and emblems from or where I can get catalogs to order from I would appreciate it.

Thanks

StudeRich
Ferndale, WA

57slvrhwk6
01-16-2006, 02:27 PM
E-bay, the online auction site, can also be a good place to find new and used parts and emblems. There is usually hundreds of Studebaker parts listed as well Studebaker cars for sale.

rockne10
01-16-2006, 09:37 PM
I agree with Studegary. The first thing you should do is join SDC. The wealth of information you will receive in one issue of Turning Wheels magazine will give you all the contact information you will need for parts, manuals and service.

It would also be a good idea to join your local Chapter. That's where you'll meet all the local people who have already done what you want to do and they will be happy to advise and assist; not to mention the new friends you will meet.