This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine wanted

Does anyone out there have a 259 or 289 engine they want to get rid of? I would like to rebuild an engine for my 64 wagon. Right now it is running with a 259, but not well. I would like to rebuild another engine, do a swap and then rebuild the 259 in the wagon as a 289r1 for my 64 challenger.
    Thanks
    Desertdoc

64 Challenger project
    64 Wagoinare project

doc,

I've got a genuine R2 block from a 64 Hawk that I've sunk money into but would be willing to part with. Does it's being an R2 block mean much? Strictly speaking, no. I've kinda held off doing anything with it thinking that the Hawk it came from might well surface again. I know it survived the engine and went on with a transplant, here in SoCal, but that was 30 years ago.
    I'd want some moola for it just to recuop that which I sunk into it. Just a block and main caps is all that's there although I could probably round up enough rods, a used crank and a set of garden variety V8 heads if I had to.[}]
    Then! I've got a '55 259 short block that came from an LA-built Speedster that needs loving. It's free save for the shipping! I don't know what shape it's in but it was my understanding that it ran when it was removed from the Speedster some 7 or 8 years ago.
    IT just happens to be setting in a nice crate that could easily be shipped via ???
    Lemme know if either of those interest you. I also found a '64 Commander 4dr in a wrecking yard near me yesterday. It's 259 was ALL there but I don't know what it's internal condition is like. With effort (yours in removing it), it could be had for $150.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Where are you?
      This is a good reason for forum members to remember to fill out their profile. Shipping could be a deal breaker for many. I know of several good, running take out engines that can be obtained very reasonably.. But getting an engine to (?) is the question.
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by desertdoc

Does anyone out there have a 259 or 289 engine they want to get rid of? I would like to rebuild an engine for my 64 wagon. Right now it is running with a 259, but not well. I would like to rebuild another engine, do a swap and then rebuild the 259 in the wagon as a 289r1 for my 64 challenger.
      Thanks
      Desertdoc

64 Challenger project
      64 Wagoinare project
      DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
      Ocala, FL.
      '37 Coupe Express
      '37 Coupe Express Trailer
      '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Mr Biggs,

Will that 55 259 bolt up in a 64 wagon? Also, where can I get a complete rebiuld kit? I've seen a lot of parts here and there, but never a complete rebuild kit. I have checked with Summit and they can't seem to put one together. Also, I live in Arizona, about 6hrs from SD and could probably drive out for the block if it looks like a good fit.

thanks

desertdoc

64 Challenger project
        64 Wagoinare project

Comment

Yes, depending on whether you are going from a manual trans to an auto trans (or vice versa).
          Chuck Collins has everything you need right there in Phoenix..
          http://studebakerparts.com/

quote:
          Will that 55 259 bolt up in a 64 wagon? Also, where can I get a complete rebiuld kit? I've seen a lot of parts here and there, but never a complete rebuild kit. I have checked with Summit and they can't seem to put one together. Also, I live in Arizona, about 6hrs from SD and could probably drive out for the block if it looks like a good fit.
          thanks
          desertdoc
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The wagon has an automatic transmission. Is there a place that sells the complete rebuild kit, gaskets, bearings, rings, freeze plugs etc?

Tucson, Arizona
            64 Challenger project
            64 Wagoinare project

Comment

SI sells complete overhaul kits. Not cheap, of course, but they DO discount things some as opposed to buying stuff an item at a time.

BTW, this engine was in a Speedster and it had an automatic. It WOULD bolt up to the 64, no sweat. But you'd wanna do everything to it (as you've indicated you wanted to anyway) before you put it to work.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

i am looking for an engine for my 57 champion 2dr sedan it a flat 6 3 spd with eletrick od any help even that v8 would work if i knew how much shipping was

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bills 57 champion

i am looking for an engine for my 57 champion 2dr sedan it a flat 6 3 spd with eletrick od any help even that v8 would work if i knew how much shipping was
                  I'm replying to both Bill and Doc here.

We have to know where you are! Engines are heavy, and cost mucho $$ to ship. Chances are, if you make yourselves known to your local SDC chapter, and better yet, JOIN it, you will meet somebody local who has a parts car or a spare engine. I've got two Champion engines, and several more V8s at my place, and while I have plans for some of them, I'd certainly be amenable to giving a sweetheart deal to any SDCer who really needed one to make their car go once more.

Also make a point of going to local old car swap meets; I've found a lot of good parts that way over the years.

And to Bill specifically: you really need a 185 engine, but a 170 would work, I guess. You might have to change a number of external engine accessories and brackets, though. Converting the car to V8 would require changing: transmission, brakes (front and rear), rear axle, and springs. Been there, done that, with a Lark. It's a lot of work. 185s were used from '55 to '58 in cars and trucks, BTW. I don't think anybody's going to outright give away a good running engine, but you ought to be able to get a parts car engine (unknown condition, usually) pretty cheap. Likely the only time a "good running" champion engine hits the market is when a rodder pulls one out to install the dreaded belly button motah But if you are in the right place at the right time, you could score a deal on an engine that way (and both parties to the deal get what they want).

But always remember the three most important rules of real estate: location, location, location. Same thing applies to heavy iron like Stude engines, especially if you are looking for low price.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                  Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord,

desertdoc added Tucson AZ to the signature of his last post.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Working...
                    X