PDA

View Full Version : 53 Champion



Coop
01-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Just bought a 53 Champion. Any advice as to care and feeding?



Coop

Kdancy
01-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Coop, tell us a little more about your 53. Standard or auto? Overdrive? Mileage? Condition?

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

wagone
01-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Sedan or coupe? Yes, give us more details.
wagone and recovering Avanti I

rockne10
01-14-2006, 11:26 PM
What sayeth body tag on cowl under hood passenger side?

Coop
01-16-2006, 03:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

Coop, tell us a little more about your 53. Standard or auto? Overdrive? Mileage? Condition?

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT


I purchased this car at a dealer auction. It had been in the same family for 40 years or so. It is a flathead six with standard transmission. It is a four door. The interior looks good and the body is very solid and straight. I am not crazy about the color, a medium dark green. The car does run and drive well. Not sure if it has overdrive or not. I am waiting for the auction to deliver it on a flatbed, roll off, car hauler. I am a dealer and will most likley sell the car after I have had some fun with it. I bought it because it reminded me of the orange 53 Champion 2 door that a local shop, M&V Garage, use to drag race every sunday at Charleston Dragway in Charleston IL.



Coop

52hawk
01-16-2006, 08:50 PM
Did that come from a Ford dealer?In Champaign,I believe? They had it on e-bay twice,but I don't remember what the final bid was.Seems they were looking for $2500 or so- One and only time I saw a 'Stude at a dealer auction was in Moline-a 64 daytona..[also dark green]At that time I wasn't interested in a 64,wish I'd have bought it.[ I'm an Illinois dealer.] Just for kicks,email me with a price after you have your fun with it!!!!

Home of the Almostahawk

StudeDave57
01-16-2006, 09:45 PM
The one I'm thinking of has been up on eBay a bunch! Here's the last time up-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4588849778&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

[8D]

StudeDave
San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
'57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
'57 Commander 2dr
'57 Champion 2dr
'65 Cruiser

Coop
01-17-2006, 01:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by rockne10

What sayeth body tag on cowl under hood passenger side?


Body tag sayeth 14G-W1 1155. I know little about these cars, other than they look great.


Coop

Coop
01-17-2006, 01:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

Coop, tell us a little more about your 53. Standard or auto? Overdrive? Mileage? Condition?

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT


The 53 just arrived via flat-bed. The color, olive, is growing on me. I have not driven the car myself as of yet. It does have a lever for overdrive. It is showing 64,792 miles. Under the hood looks original and clean. The body looks very good. The door latches could use some adjustment.


Coop

Coop
01-17-2006, 02:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57

The one I'm thinking of has been up on eBay a bunch! Here's the last time up-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4588849778&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

[8D]

StudeDave
San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
'57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
'57 Commander 2dr
'57 Champion 2dr
'65 Cruiser


Thats IT! The auction ended at 2,550.00 reserve not met. The pictures were not that good.


Coop

DilloCrafter
01-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Hi Coop,

Congratulations! I read where some of these guys said the sedans rode more comfortably than the coupes and hardtops (was that you, Biggsy?).

For the sake of longevity in the forum that will outlive eBay's photos in that link, I've stolen a picture and put it on my site. Here it is brightened up a bit to account for that overcast day:

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/53GreenSedan.jpg

Anyway, that looks like a nice repaint job. Can you tell if it's the original color? Probably not quite, if the new paint is metallic. I know what you mean about a color growing on you. Especially when it's a nice enough job that you'd hate to redo it just because it's not naturally your favorite color. But, if you're not a purist, there are plenty of ways you could make it come alive with a lighter, complementary color for the roof and wheels, or even do some drastic stuff. I'd try it on a computer first, though.

(20 minutes later)...
What the heck, I couldn't resist painting your top myself. Not very realistic, but it could begin to give you an idea how it might look:

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/53GreenSedan-redtop.jpg
http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/53GreenSedan-yeltop.jpg
http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/53GreenSedan-whitetop.jpg

gordr
01-17-2006, 10:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

Hi Coop,

Congratulations! I read where some of these guys said the sedans rode more comfortably than the coupes and hardtops (was that you, Biggsy?).

For the sake of longevity in the forum that will outlive eBay's photos in that link, I've stolen a picture and put it on my site. Here it is brightened up a bit to account for that overcast day:

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/53GreenSedan.jpg


Anyway, that looks like a nice repaint job. Can you tell if it's the original color? Probably not quite, if the new paint is metallic. I know what you mean about a color growing on you. Especially when it's a nice enough job that you'd hate to redo it just because it's not naturally your favorite color. But, if you're not a purist, there are plenty of ways you could make it come alive with a lighter, complementary color for the roof and wheels, or even do some drastic stuff. I'd try it on a computer first, though.

(20 minutes later)...
What the heck, I couldn't resist painting your top myself. Not very realistic, but it could begin to give you an idea how it might look:

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/53GreenSedan-redtop.jpg
http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/53GreenSedan-yeltop.jpg
http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/53GreenSedan-whitetop.jpg



You know, Dillo, if I kinda-sorta squint at the one with the beige top, I can see a convertible there. Anybody else?

We in Studedom tend to see the '53 - '55 sedans as being ugly ducklings compared the C and K models, but if you compare them to what the Big 3 were offering, they are flat-out gorgeous cars in their own right. I'd like to see one done up as a convertible. Hmmm, there's this '53 Champion sedan behind my house....

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands