• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knob

can some one tell me what the knob is for above the radio in a 57 champion

wipers

Comment

If there's a knob there, it's not a factory installation. There was a wiper knob (switch) above the radios thru the 1955 model cars. With the 56 models, the knob for wipers moved down to the lower edge of the dash.
      For C-cab trucks, it stayed on the top of the dash thru the '59 models. The 60 and later C-cabs had the wiper switch near the instrument cluster.

If the switch on your '57 Champion doesn't make anything obvious operate, look under the dash and see if you car see what it's wired to!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Is it a Scotsman? [:0] If so, that'd make it a wiper switch... [^] [8)]

[8D]

StudeDave
        San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
        '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
        '57 Commander 2dr
        '57 Champion 2dr
        '65 Cruiser
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Check your parts book Dave. ALL 57 sedans (including Scotmans) used the same switch (or the books lie). In fact, go look at that Purple Scotsman again on ebay. See any switch up there?
          The Scotsman's were all about eliminating as much cost as possible. If they'd gone to the extra step of stamping a hole in the top of Scotsman dashes - extra cost over using the standard sedan dash.[}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have not checked the book, so I'll go along with that. But the books aren't always right. Case in point, check this car out~

'bills 57 Champion' will have to clue us in on this, but I'll bet this is his car! It's clearly a '58 Scotsman that's been played with (in a good way mind you!). Yes, I see the '57 grile, taillights, and what-not, but check that roof, heater, and dash! My '58 Scotsman wagon had those same fenders on it. See the vent doors? 1958s aren't supposed to have them, and I've seen some without 'em- but lots appeared to have been built with them! I wish I knew the story on that...
            [8D]

StudeDave
            San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
            '57 Commander 2dr
            '57 Champion 2dr
            '65 Cruiser
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

I can't see vent doors on this. What's different about the roof? What's wrong with the dash? This is just a low-end Champion. Too much brightwork to be a Scotsman. I don't know what that knob is on top of the dash, but I don't think it belongs there. It might well be for that underdash heater unit. It might be an aftermarket add on. Champions probably would've been fitted with the Climatizer setup if they'd come from the factory or a dealer had installed it.
              As I said, the parts book (yes, I know they're not perfect) shows ALL 57s using one type of wiper switch - the kind that's at the lower edge of the dash and works with a sliding lever. 58s were the same way even tho the switch assembly itself carries a different part #.

Funny thing about those 57 taillights. SASCO has them for the Scostman. They're supposed to be primered so you can paint them to match the car. I ordered a pair for my 57 President with the intention of having them chromed eventually.
              Both the left and right showed up here alright, and both in original boxes that had obviously never been opened. To my surprize, one of the units was sprayed with primer OVER the chrome that it had originally been plated with![:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Ever have that nagging little feeling about something? A little research found that dash-top switch. It is for vacuum wipers in the "Champion Economy Cars". The ebay car looks like an F-2 'Custom', but it might be an F-1 model with a dress-up kit. The knob and switch are only listed for W-1 and F-1 models on page 234 of the body parts manual. The line it's on refers you to Note 48, which reads "Wiper control is mounted on face of instrument board before body numbers 58G-W1-875, 58G-F1-202". Note 49 reads "Wiper control is mounted on top of instrument board after body numbers in Note 48". I've never seen one of these before.

Dwain G.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Mr Biggs- Looks like we got the answer on the switch, here's mine on the rest. The vents are there- at least the right one is for sure. Take a look at your President's roof, then this one. You'll note that your car's is taller and rounder. This '58's roof is flat. As for the dash- see the small '56 speedo, two gauges/two 'idiot' lights and tan paint? That combined with the roof (but mostly that roof) pegs this as a Scotsman. The '58 2 door Champions had headlite pods, a dash like your wagon, round tail-lights and fins.

FYI- More to think about- My Champion (though a '57) is an F-2 and has that same steering wheel, AND '55ish window cranks! I'll post some detail pics on my RacingStudebaker photo page for ya' on that one. Look in the 'Jewel's details' folder

[8D]

StudeDave
                  San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
                  '57 Commander 2dr
                  '57 Champion 2dr
                  '65 Cruiser
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Thanks Dwain. A first for me too![:0] And part of the reason we're making such discoveries is that SO FEW cars like this have ever been restored OR shown. There's a Scotsman wagon and a 2-dr in a local junkyard and both sport electric wipers. Musta been a BIG spender that bought them![:0][^]
                    I can't imagine opting for vacuum wipers to save a penny (if it did even!), not to mention that it would have required the extra step of drilling a hole in the dash top. Well, maybe if you lived in Arid-zona....[)]

Dave, I know all about the dash differences and the vents, but this car has to be a cobble-job conglomeration of several cars or at least someone's yearning for a bit more chrome.
                    Those 57 tailights don't just swap over without some matching sheet metal pieces as well. Pieces, BTW, that I'd love to be able to find new.[]
                    I confess, I never hit the "Enlarge this picture" button on that offering. I just did and I can see the vent on the passenger's side, but can't see one on the driver's side (as you noted). And the roof I do see now.[B)] Maybe the right fender's vent can be explained by it's RF fender having be replaced with a fender from the '57 Champion that donated all the trim to this 58 Scotsman.
                    MAYBE - just maybe this car is a melding of two or three different donors. Actualy, it just about HAS to be. Looking again at that dash photo - notice they've got a stand-alone (twist-type, cheapie trim) horn button fitted to the higher trim level horn ring.
                    It doesn't have a Scotsman's cheapie grille but it does sport a Packard hood ornament!
                    It does indeed have Sorta Scotsman headlights on it (and fenders to match, of course) but the bezels are chromed, 57 type. The car also has primered (rust-stained primer) rocker panels. Probably replaced but never painted to match the rest of the car.
                    (Hmmmmmm.... wonder how those 50 Commander rocker trims I've been hording, would look on my '58 wagon???[}])

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

I just sent the seller a request for the info from the body tag. That should provide some clues!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

I think StudeDave 57 is right in saying that this car is a '58. According to Old Cars Weekly's "Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975", the starting serial number for 1958 Champions was G-1405401. This includes Scotsmans. And the car pictured on ebay has a higher serial number than that. [^]

I think the modifications done to this one look really good. I always liked the '57s and '58s too.

Comment

I forgot about the Packard hood ornament- nice addition! My '58 Scotsman wagon had vents in BOTH fenders, and had never been hit. Now that I think about it- the hood was smooth on that car as well- nowhere to mount the hood onament. It's all about that roof...
                          One of my theories- someone had a '57 sedan (or wagon!) just laying around and got to thinking and then parts swappin'! Did you notice the 'TT' emblem on the decklid? Yes I suppose it could've come that way, but what are the odds of that?
                          Another theory is they got a-hold of a parts book, then made a visit to their local dealer/parts vender. That someone knew what would swap, and look a lot better then just a plan-Jane Scotsman. They did a good job, and gave us something to talk about!!!

[8D]

StudeDave
                          San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
                          '57 Commander 2dr
                          '57 Champion 2dr
                          '65 Cruiser
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

The car on ebay is mine i bought it the way you see it it has no driver vent and vacum wipper i was told that the car was a 57 then doing research on line i discoverd it was a scots man champion now for the knope ? i had looked at the car over the weekend and discovered that there is a chrome handle under the dash on the driverside that runs to the vent on the passager side i asked the guy i got it from and he has no history on it other than it is a 57 now as far as the tt on deck itwas orginal thr car was never repaited and no that is not rust colerd primer on the rockers it is chrome on both side can any of you e mail me acopy of a parts list for the body look behind the bumber guards there is chrome missing

Comment

Working...
                            X