PDA

View Full Version : 1950 2R10

doogietee
01-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Well, I got the 1950 2R10 started yesterday for the first time and drove it down to the gas station. What a hoot!

Some history, I bought this two months ago for $1000. It had been sitting for a few years but supposedly ran prior to being parked. Thanks to a post here and the quick replys, I ordered a fuel pump from SASCO, installed, added a fuel filter, changed the oil and drained and replaced the gas and it started right up. And it hums. Idles great and drives nice. Thanks to all that helped. My immediate problem right now is a gasoliine drip coming from the carb dripping right on the manifold. Kind of scary so I won't be driving until that is fixed. I'm assuming that I need a carburetor rebuild. Can anybody confirm that or give some advice on this problem? It appears to be leaking around the top gasket and runs out underneath the fitting where the gas line enters the carb. I'm sure it's not the fitting, as in early attempts to start it I would poor gas directly into the carb and that would cause the leak to start. This was prior to the fuel pump working. Suggestions?

1950 2R10

JDP
01-12-2006, 02:01 PM
The carb kit will have a new needle and seat which will cure the problem. BTW, make sure the gas tank is not full of rust and crap or you'll just clog up your new pump and rebuilt carb. At least add a inline filter before the pump to see if it fills up with junk.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 GT Hawk
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
53 Street rod

doogietee
01-14-2006, 06:50 PM
JDP,

Thanks for the tip. The previous owner filled the gas tank prior to parking and I don't see anything in the bowl of the fuel pump so I think I'm in good shape. I had pretty good flow from the line also when I drained the old fuel off. Suggestions on the best place to get a Carter BBR1 rebuild kit?

1950 2R10

N8N
01-14-2006, 10:45 PM
I don't know about the one barrel carbs but the Stromberg 2bbls almost always have a warped top plate. Last one I had I had to use two gaskets on the top plate, even with the float set correctly the gas would still slosh up and run out, not a Good Thing. So when you take it apart to clean it and check everything lay a straightedge on the mating surface and make sure everything is cool.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel