This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OUCH

Aren't you glad you drive an "old" car? Saw the following in the local paper, where a car expert replies to reader questions -

Question - My 1996 brand X keeps stopping first thing in the morning,after about 3 miles. Starts again first thing. Dealer has checked the "throttle assembly" and it is OK. Any idea what the problem might be?

Answer - It could be a number of things - a temp sender, the crank-engine sensor, direct-fire ignition pack or a number of other components.

I'm rather pleased to deal with the time-proven coil, distributor, carby and fuel pump. The mere thought of a "myriad of sensors telling the "Black Box" when to shut down the engine" puts me off buying anything made after 1980 or so.
    I noticed the other day that even diesel powered passenger cars have electronic engine control systems nowadays.

Whatever happened to simplicity?
    /H

The environmental over-reactors killed simplicity............[xx(]

Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)

Comment

I'm in charge of the fleet at work and have bought six new Freightliner MT45 in the past 8 months. Two of them just arrived this week but the other four have all been towed to the shop for warranty work and the problem has always been a sensor; nothing wrong with them, but the sensor says there is and the computer shuts the truck down so it doesn't suffer mechanical damage.
      My drivers love being stuck three hours from home until a towtruck arrives.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I think Someone else on this board said that the electronic garbage will be the limiting factor on the useful life of the cars and trucks made in the last 15-20 years--even if the parts that actually do something useful are just fine. The only thing I like about hitech cars is the fuel mileage, and that that they can get good power out of small engines. They are about as repairable as your DVD player, though. Wouldn't it be nice if enthusiasts would be as willing to put out the bucks for an add-on aftermarket TBI system as they are to buy a Demon carburetor and a polished intake manifold or a Blower, which would help their fuel economy situation somewhat? Anyway, I understood that on these later-model microprocessor-controlled fuel delivery systems, that if a sensor goes bad, that they will usually still run on "limp in" mode, though the check engine light will be on.

Comment

Im driving my first new 4-wheeled vheical sice 1980,and only my second one new enough to not have a carb. While on a whole,Im extremely impressed with my Kia Sorento and amazed at how sophisticated it is,I sure don't want to hang on to it untill it gets long in the tooth.
          The parts are priced ridiculesly high,and for example,when it comes time to change the plug wires,the dealer tells me its a 4.5 HOUR job!
          The whole intake plenum has to be removed.
          But I just got feed up with driving junkers in the winter,and we do have some dangerous storms.I always wanted a true off-road capeable truck,and so far this thing has lived up to its billing,though Ill find out for sure when we get to Labrador next summer (G).
          The stock big 265 series 16 inch tires look impressive enough,but Ive found their really lousy in the snow and ice. The treads fill up with frozen snow and you end up with four big slicks. A set of real snow tires with studs and it would be a serious winter machine,as it runs in 2-high(rear whel drive), 4-high (slip sensitive 4WD), and has a 4W-LOW,which is geared for stump pullong,but feels like it would go up the side of a building,though very slow(4WD with differential locks on both axels)
          The rigs built on a truck 9-cross member frame,so its really stiff,has a torquey 3.5 litre V-6(200 hp,210 ft lbs of totque),and a slick shifting 5-speed overdrive manual transmission (the only mid-size SUV to offer a manual box).
          The only real dissapointment is the fuel mileage,but I was expecting it not to be great,as the thing weighs in at 4200 lbs.

Comment

Working...
          X