PDA

View Full Version : throwout bearing ?

dclewallen
03-14-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm trying to install the F**d 5-speed transmission onto my 289 and am encountering a problem. The bellhousing I'm using is from a Stude. truck as is the throwout bearing [which is a new one]. The bearing does not want to center itself in the bellhousing. I'm refering to the up and down movement. This will not allow the transmission shaft to enter the pilot bearing. Biggs, have you ever had an issue like this? I've tried rotating the bearig 180* but no change. Thanks for any help on this.

Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Roscomacaw
03-14-2007, 06:43 PM
No, I haven't had an issue like this. You're certain that the tranny nose WILL FIT the bearing I assume. Dumb question maybe, but I gotta ask it.:(
What you're telling me, in essence, is that the fork's locating holes for the bearing retainer spring are NOT centered with respect to the tranny hole in the back of the BH, no?

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Alan
03-14-2007, 09:50 PM
D.C. You didn't say what year, but the Ford 5 speeds have a longer snout and a larger throwout bearing diam. OD than the early Ford top loader tranny. You have to use a adapter to put the two together. Different bolt pattern too.

dclewallen
03-15-2007, 03:13 PM
The trans is a 86 W/C T5 from a Mustang. I've turned down the diameter of the front trans bearing retainer and also shortened it to fit the stude. bellhousing and bushed the stude. throwout bearing to fit the trans. When I go to slide the trans into the bellhousing [with clutch and pressure plate installed] it goes up to the pilot bearing but about a 1/8" too low. And yes the pilot bearing does fit. I'm trying to use a diaphram type pressure plate and am going to install the Borg and Beck three finger one I have to see if it makes any difference. Thanks guys for any input on this.

DEEPNHOCK
03-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Did you tighten the bolts on the pressure plate with the (a) input shaft in place in the flywheel?
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by dclewallen

I'm trying to install the F**d 5-speed transmission onto my 289 and am encountering a problem. The bellhousing I'm using is from a Stude. truck as is the throwout bearing [which is a new one]. The bearing does not want to center itself in the bellhousing. I'm refering to the up and down movement. This will not allow the transmission shaft to enter the pilot bearing. Biggs, have you ever had an issue like this? I've tried rotating the bearig 180* but no change. Thanks for any help on this.

dclewallen
03-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Yes, torqued to spec. with an line up shaft.

DEEPNHOCK
03-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Did you test fit the pilot bearing (or bushing) onto the new trans input shaft?
Reason I ask is there are a few different input shaft sizes.
I strugggled with one that fit so tightly into the flywheel it changed the ID a few thousandths and made it a bear to get the shaft in that last 3/4"...
Just thinkin out loud on easy stuff to double check..
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by dclewallen

Yes, torqued to spec. with an line up shaft.

Alan
03-16-2007, 02:26 PM
D.C. A picture of the problem would be nice so we don't have to guess what you are talking about.