This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• commander hood problem

the hood is weak at corners bends its like the metal is to light at that point should we beef it up by bracing or adding a layer of metal
    springs are working but when we try to close the hood it tries to bend.and crack

55 commander

quote:Originally posted by plesmar1947

the hood is weak at corners bends its like the metal is to light at that point should we beef it up by bracing or adding a layer of metal
    springs are working but when we try to close the hood it tries to bend.and crack

55 commander
    The hood corners were a weak point on the C/K's. Even if you lube the and adjust the hinges and insure the two springs are in place on each side and hooked up correctly, you'll probably want to nstall the Anti-Kink Hood Stiffeners from Classic http://www.classicent.com/hawk.htm

-Dick-
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Aren't there supposed to be FOUR springs? Two hook to the inner fender panels and two hook to the kick panels of the body tub.

Has this problem Commander got all four springs?[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yes four springs. Adding the extra two really made a big difference on my Starliner.

Darryl C. Lewallen
        Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

One KEY point I was negligent in mentioning is that most all of us Studebaker types KNOW that you don't just RAISE a STUDEBAKER HOOD straight up!!!!![xx(][xx(][xx(]
          You always PULL IT toward you AS you raise it! This doesn't apply to Lark types from '61-on but it applies to all other postwar cars and trucks![}]
          Many a hood has had it's back corners mangled by some ham-handed mechanic, service island type (remember those?)or shade-tree dolt when they popped the hood and forced it straight up!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X