X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 259 cu. tune up questions...

Howdy all,

I'm getting ready to do some basic tune-up stuff on my 259 cu. (which I believe is from a '59 Lark -it's in my '50 2R p/u). I plan on changing plugs, cap/rotor/condenser, etc. and have a couple of questions...

-Does anyone have any preference as to what type (brand/part#) of plug to use in this motor?

-What should the timing be set at? Points gap?

-Anyone know what the normal impedance of a spark plug wire should be? I'd like to check these with my volt meter, as I'm a little suspect of the ones that are in there and may want to replace these as well.

Any other words of wisdom you might want to interject would definitely be welcome. I'm a bit of a novice mechanic and I'm new to Studes, so I need all the help I can get!

Thanks in advance,
    Boardhoarder

Boardhoarder, I think points are to be set at .018 to .022, however I've always had good luck using a cardboard matchbook cover. I think that is close to .018. I always set the timing right to the timing mark exactly until I finish adjusting the carb mixture and idle, then advance the timing 3 - 7 degrees by ear. My last set of plugs were NKG, and I have been pretty happy with them, but I don't want to make a recommedation on plugs because A) nobody is paying me for it, and B) I haven't tried all of them yet.

Comment

Thanks much for your input, Whacker.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Comment

Just basic tune up stuff...
        Set your dwell (points) first...
        Then set the timing.
        Then the carb (idle and vacuum)
        Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Boardholder, you'll need NAPA (United Echlin) RR159 Rotor, RR158 Cap, CS777A, points and the proper Condensor(sorry I don't have that one memorized!), a set of plug wires available from many Stude. vendors, and a set of Champion H-14Y or current crossover # Spark Plugs. These parts are for the "early" Delco non-window Dist. as used on '51-'59 Sedans and '56-'60 Hawks. Which would be stock for a '59 Lark 8.
          I also have all this stuff at: studebakersnorthwest.com
          Hope this shopping list helps, Rich.

quote:Originally posted by Boardhoarder

Howdy all,

I'm getting ready to do some basic tune-up stuff on my 259 cu. (which I believe is from a '59 Lark -it's in my '50 2R p/u). I plan on changing plugs, cap/rotor/condenser, etc. and have a couple of questions...

-Does anyone have any preference as to what type (brand/part#) of plug to use in this motor?

-What should the timing be set at? Points gap?

-Anyone know what the normal impedance of a spark plug wire should be? I'd like to check these with my volt meter, as I'm a little suspect of the ones that are in there and may want to replace these as well.

Any other words of wisdom you might want to interject would definitely be welcome. I'm a bit of a novice mechanic and I'm new to Studes, so I need all the help I can get!

Thanks in advance,
          Boardhoarder
          StudeRich
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Just a general comment; I prefer to check my points setting with a dwell meter as any car using points probably has some miles on it by now and the lobes on the dist. may be worn, therefore the shop manual points gap may no longer correspond to the correct dwell setting. Advice given elsewhere in the thread is good however, and the matchbook trick is definitely good to remember - if you ever get stuck with a bad set of points, you can get them set close enough to get home at least (I don't know that many people that carry a dwell meter or feeler gauges in their glovebox.)

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Wow...thanks for all the info guys -it is really appreciated.

StudeRich- may look you up for this stuff in the next couple days.

Thanks again.

Boardhoarder

Comment

Working...
              X