PDA

View Full Version : C/K Front Sway Bar Upgrade

macstude
01-04-2006, 05:59 PM
The front sway bar diameter on my 53 K is 5/8" diameter. Is there a larger diameter sway bar that will interchange?

53 Starliner modified

Mike Van Veghten
01-04-2006, 06:16 PM
As a bolt in?

With a little fabrication, most GM full bodied and mid bodied car anti roll bars are almost a drop in. Dimensionally, almost perfect, bends in the right places...etc. You can go from 5/8" to 1-1/4" dia.

All that's needed, is mounts for the frame and mounts for the a-arms. I bolted the frame mounts and welded the a-arm mounts on my Lark (same basic frame layout). Used standard, off the shelf links and bushings.

One note of caution:::::be very aware of buying a mild steel aftermarket bar. Mild steel is NOT a spring. Does it have memory...yea...some. A good bar will have a nice ring when you tap it with a hard object (when hanging from one end), a mild steel bar will sound dead.
There are "many" aftermarket bars made of mild steel, formed cold, painted and sold. Bout all they're good for is lightening your wallet

N8N
01-04-2006, 07:02 PM
A bar from a GT Hawk will bolt in. Not sure of the diameter, may be the same but the brackets mount to the frame not the control arms and it is much stiffer. Get the 63-64 style frame mounts. This has been discussed here before, too bad there's no search feature...

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Dick Steinkamp
01-04-2006, 09:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by N8N

A bar from a GT Hawk will bolt in. Not sure of the diameter, may be the same but the brackets mount to the frame not the control arms and it is much stiffer. Get the 63-64 style frame mounts. This has been discussed here before, too bad there's no search feature...

nate

Here's one of the threads...
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2628

-Dick-

StudeDave57
01-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Lotsa' good info there- be sure to check it out!!!
[8D]

StudeDave
San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
'57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
'57 Commander 2dr
'57 Champion 2dr
'65 Cruiser

GTtim
01-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Nate,
May I direct your attention to the top right of the screen where it says this:
Studebaker Drivers Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ

Just trying to be helpful.:D
Tim K.

macstude
01-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks everyone that provided input. Also the previous thread. I think I will pursue the upgrade as being worthwhile. :)

53 Starliner modified