PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting my dream Avanti

RicksWrecks
03-14-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm going to compromise price wise,lower my expectations, and buy a 70 Avanti II..I simply can't afford a 63-64..Am I throwing my money away? this is a nice car..I figure it is a plus that it is Chevrolet powered, cheaper and easier to work on plus powerful..you Avanti folks please weigh in with your opinions..also would appreciate opinions on adapting Paxton SC to SBC in car and info on Avanti site and newsletter..thanks...Rick..rixrex1@earthlink.net

sbca96
03-14-2007, 11:16 AM
In ways the GM powered ones are better and in ways the Stude powered
ones are better, it depends on what you want. There is an 85 Avanti
in the San Fransisco area for sale cheap. The later Avantis had much
better front seats, and the GM engine makes rebuilds cheaper.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/292149479.html

Needs the fiberglass fixed up front, but the hood looks OK. Could do
a conversion to a round headlight 63, or glass in some Jeep Liberty
headlilghts for a more modern look. Needs an engine, but it should
be an 'easy' conversion for an LT1/4L60E or T56 6 speed.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

DEEPNHOCK
03-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Paxton made a kit to put the supercharger on a small block Chevy.
They show up on Ebay from time to time.
Last one was a nice polished setup, and it sold for about $1500
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by RicksWrecks

<snip>
..also would appreciate opinions on adapting Paxton SC to SBC in car <snip>

Karl
03-14-2007, 12:47 PM
RICK ,YOU WILL BE QUITE HAPPY WITH 70 AVANTI.[8D] WHICH ENGINE IS IN THE CAR? THE PAXTON SN SERIES HAS A PROBLEM FEEDING MORE THAN 300CID. UNLESS YOU RUN A NOVI UNIT.AND THEY HAD NEWER STYLE SEATS IN THEM ALSO:)BUY IT AND ENJOY...

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
64 Avanti R3w/NOS
88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

JDP
03-14-2007, 01:35 PM
I had a air conditioned Avanti II with the Paxton SN 60 and just loved it. BTW, the Paxton was just fine on the 350. The only real downside of the II's is resale price.

64 Commander 2 dr.
64 GT Hawk R2 clone
64 Daytona HT
63 Cruiser
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert
63 Lark 2 door
63 Lark 2 door #2
62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT
60 Hawk
59 3E truck
52 Starliner
51 Commander

sbca96
03-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Yah .. you should put on 3 superchargers to keep up with Karl.;)

Tom

bige
03-14-2007, 03:47 PM
I would love to have a 70 Avanti II. My R2 is fun but you don't have to get real fancy with a SBC. I wouldn't mess with the supercharger at all. The right heads, cam and intake mid 3's in the rear and you're quicker than most R2's for a lot less money. And, all that in air conditioned comfort! Most of the world can't tell the difference between the Studes and the II's anyway. When they ask if it's a "real one" (and they will) just say "yes". In fact you're 70 is rarer than a 63 0r 64 if you look at yearly production.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/AvantiR2/avnatiglamour007.jpg

64V-K7
03-14-2007, 05:09 PM
70's came in 2 flavors. The early (RQA) models were the same as a Stude, except for the engine and lack of some emblems. The later RQB models were a tad plushier, with high back seats and depending on when you took delivery, a GM style (self energizing) rear brake setup.

Here's my '70

http://www.potomacsdc.org/0381/Webfrt/comp2as.jpg

Bob Johnstone
http://www.studebaker-info.org/7168422/sig2.jpg

JBOYLE
03-16-2007, 01:11 PM
While the 63-64s are a better buy for resale, I wouldn't mind having an early 70's (pre-smog) II.
Build quality was still good when the Altman's were still alive. All reports indicate they went down-hill in the early 80s...before the plastic bumpered "Blake" cars.

With a II you don't have the originality concerns. Like a guy in our local club, I'd trick it out with modern suspension and a hotted up Chevy (I don't know when they went from 327 to 350s...just avoid the 305s).

Enjoy...

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

Skip Lackie
03-16-2007, 03:52 PM
I believe that most 1970 Avantis were equipped with 300 hp, premium-gas 350s. They later (1972?) went to the Chevy 400 in order to maintain their high performance image in the face of declining compression ratios and horsepower. I have a 74 and they are nice cars -- very fast and indistinguishable from the originals by anyone except SDC and AOAI members. Two advantages: flanged rear axles with readily available (mostly Jeep) rear brakes, and effective GM air conditioning.:) And as stated, "originality" is very relative term, since they could be ordered in almost any color, any interior, any radio, and all nature of other optional equipment. The disadvantage is that they were built to order, so no two were exactly alike. If you encounter any electrical problems, you can't consult your handy shop manual -- there are no factory wiring diagrams.[:0] If everything is working, it's best to leave dangling, unplugged wires alone (which is contrary to my nature -- I want to plug them in somewhere!). Yes, they sell for less than the Stude Avantis, but you can also buy them for less.

Skip Lackie
Washington DC

sbca96
03-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Another disadvantage along those lines is that it WAS the 70s, and if
people were not doing serious drugs while choosing the color/material
options, some other mental hiccup was going on. Some Avanti IIs I've
seen had laughable looking interiors, you would have thought it was a
joke, seat material that looked like it belonged on a chair in the old
Stepford House, browns mixed with greens, and SHAG carpet??[xx(][:I]

Tom

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie
The disadvantage is that they were built to order, so no two were exactly alike.

Skip Lackie
03-17-2007, 08:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by sbca96

and SHAG carpet??[xx(][:I]

Tom

Tom- Ouch! My 74 has shag carpet! In truth, a couple of years ago I bought replacement carpet (in conservative black), but have never installed it because the shag carpet (with matching floor mats) is in such good shape, and it is SO typical of the 1970s. But my wife hates it, so it'll probably go soon.

Another Avanti II story: Back around 1977, John Poulos took me on my first visit to South Bend (I think we were bringing back a rust-free Hawk that Chuck Naugle had left with Dennis Lambert). We must've looked like high rollers, because when we visited Avanti Motors, they gave us a guided tour of the whole plant. To confirm what you said about interior materials, our tour guide said that they had made interiors out of virtually every material -- including someone's dining room drapes and grandma's old house dress. They also said that a buyer was welcome to spend a couple of weeks in SB and help to build their own car. That latter offer was very tempting, but I never could afford to buy a brand new one.

Skip Lackie
Washington DC

JDP
03-17-2007, 08:20 AM
Yep, they did not use auto carpet. They'd go up the street to the home carpet joint and pick out a few yards.

64 Commander 2 dr.
64 GT Hawk R2 clone
64 Daytona HT
63 Cruiser
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert
63 Lark 2 door
63 Lark 2 door #2
62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT
60 Hawk
59 3E truck
52 Starliner
51 Commander

DEEPNHOCK
03-17-2007, 08:24 AM
Too funny!
Some day in the future someone will post something
about people putting funky big wheels on Avanti's
and 'old Tom' will go 'Ouch':D (Just kidding, Tom)
Styles change....

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

and SHAG carpet??[xx(][:I]

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie
Tom- Ouch! My 74 has shag carpet! In truth, a couple of years ago I bought replacement carpet (in conservative black), but have never installed it because the shag carpet (with matching floor mats) is in such good shape, and it is SO typical of the 1970s. But my wife hates it, so it'll probably go soon.

Another Avanti II story: Back around 1977, John Poulos took me on my first visit to South Bend (I think we were bringing back a rust-free Hawk that Chuck Naugle had left with Dennis Lambert). We must've looked like high rollers, because when we visited Avanti Motors, they gave us a guided tour of the whole plant. To confirm what you said about interior materials, our tour guide said that they had made interiors out of virtually every material -- including someone's dining room drapes and grandma's old house dress. They also said that a buyer was welcome to spend a couple of weeks in SB and help to build their own car. That latter offer was very tempting, but I never could afford to buy a brand new one.

Skip Lackie
Washington DC