This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker sounds

No, not the lovely sounds they make but the sounds to play in them. Am I weird or has anyone elose given any thought to what music is appropriate for the sound system in your Stude? Mine has no functioning sound system at all right now, the original AM is there but the antenna is broken clean off. I'm thinking of putting a cassette and/or CD player in the glove box or under the seat to keep the appearance stock (even though my interior is less than 100% correct it does look old). I was thinking that any sounds from the pre-Beatles era when the car was relatively new would be good. Even if I just go with what I like regardless of style or era that would only get me to the early/mid '70s but somehow elctric Miles seems a little strange for a '59 Lark. Any thoughts?

50's bebop any of the good ole boys (kountry) early Elvis of course .

Comment

I find the Reverend Horton Heat or similar to fit the personality of my car the best. Unfortunately I have no functional sound system in it; it's sitting safely in a box in my closet at the moment (need to figure where to mount speakers...)

I had the brilliant idea to make some custom kick panels, until I realized that I drive a C-body and that's where the vents are... :/

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

My 33 rocks to Bix Beiderbecke and Jelly Roll Morton, Bessie Smith, Sidney Bechet. The 51 and 53 respond more to The Inkspots, Limelighters, Fats Waller, Gerry Mulligan, Thelonious Monk, Lionel Hampton and Nina Simone.

Hey! What can I say? I'm an anachronism...but, so are YOU!

And, if there's real passion in the music, isn't it appropriate in anything you love driving?
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I leave the exhaust cutouts open and windows down.[8D]

The radio hole in my dash holds Vaccume and oil temp gages.

Comment

I listen to Stevie Ray Vaughn no matter WHAT Im driving(G)

Comment

Transtar56, the more I read of you, the more I think you belong down here in Texas. I'm not a huge Stevie Ray Vaughn fan (although he was quite a phenomenal player), but they've built a statue of him that's in downtown Austin. Maybe when I get my truck running, I can park it in the background and take a photo to send you.

It would be great to have another Stude truck owner living nearby, so I could get some help on my restoration efforts. Oh, well, guess I'll have to move to Canada or California for that, huh?

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon
              Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

In the '53 Commander Starliner that I drove for nine years, including three trips from NY to IN, I removed the radio and replaced it with an NOS dash plate. I just listened to the car and people talking to me about the car on my CB radio. For music, I prefer DooWop, but that is too old for your '59. Beach Boys would be about correct.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Maybe you could put in XM Radio or Sirius Satellite, and tune to a "station" that hammers out one particular era, like early 60's music, all day long.

Paul Simpson
                  "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                  The Red-Headed Amazon
                  Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary
                    For music, I prefer DooWop,
                    Hey Gary, come join us at:
                    doowopcafe@yahoogroups.com

Dwain G.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

BLUEGRASS!!!!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR. CHAMP

Comment

There is only one great vocal harmony group...The Diablos....ah yes....The Wind.........the greatest! May the soul of the deceased DJ Robert Charles "Gus" Gossert live in heaven forever....There are those that worked for many years attempting to bring your killer(s) to justice...and your case still haunts them....know that, as you "rest".

There also can be no finer vocalist singing in any Studebaker....than the great Johnny Hartman...makes Billy Eckstein look like a "piker".

Stevie Ray Vaughan...one of the great "pickers"....ya want to rock?? Then a listen to his "Riviera Paradise" is must listening.

Bix Beiderbecke?.........never given enough credit as a great tickler of those 88's....only his horn work...Give a listen to his Mississippi Mud, Clarinet Marmalade,or my fav...Deep down South.

Class dismissed.........

Comment

Arlo!

Dave's Place
                          Studebaker Emporium
                          sigpic
                          Dave Lester

Comment

Thanks Dillocrafter,I take that as a real compliment.
                            Texas is on my "must see" list,and hopefully Ill be able to do it sooner rather than later.
                            Texas seems like a place where things are done right,and have politicians with balls.
                            On Christmas morning in Halifax a cabbie was stabbed 11 times and killed by a 17 year old crack head who had stabbed another cabbie after robbing him only 6 months ago.Since we have this young offenders act, he'l probaly be back on the street in months,not years. In Texas you guys would put him down for keeps,as you would any rabid dog.
                            In Texas people are allowed to defend themselves by packing heat,the best I can do is carry an allunimum baseball bat in my truck.
                            If I get swarmed somebodys gonna taste some alunimum before I go down.
                            Thanks again, but Im not sure I could get used to the hot weather,being a northern man,but I sure intend to visit.
                            Glad to hear about the SRV statue,he deserves it. Any man who thrilled and inspired so many was really special. I wonder if I would have picked up the guitar if it wasn't for those beautifull songs like "The sky is crying","Pride and Joy" and a hundred others.
                            To me he is a guitar god right up there with Clapton,Jimmy Page and Santana.Had he lived there is no telling what he might of accomplished.
                            I saw him live once,and it was a magical experience,the way he used those heavy strings,tuned it low,and "floored it" as he called it.He still inspires me today to work hard everyday on the ol axe,just to get as good as I can.

Comment

Thanks for all the interesting replys, glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks about this stuff. Only went slightly OT... I've got some mechanical issues to address first, but getting the sounds taken care of is definately on the list. Doo-wop, surf, early R&B, western swing & bop all sound like good suggestions to me (polka anyone?). Maybe I'll make a tape or CDR of things recorded in '59, e.g. "What I Say" by Ray Charles and "Shout" by the Isley Bros. For now I love the way my 259 sounds, even though that exhaust side leak that makes it go "chuffa chuffa" probably doesn't help my millage any. SRV is good stuff any time in any car but don't forget guys like Elmore James who did the original of "The Sky is Crying".

Comment

Working...
                              X