PDA

View Full Version : 1956 Power Hawk windows

samson009
12-28-2005, 10:22 PM
Restored the power hawk couple years ago and have had trouble with poor operating windows. When I operate the windows up or down they seam to go up unevenly , sort of rock from front to back not level.
Anyone have a solution to this problem?

jan

56 power hawk
51 starlite coupe
48 M5

55s
12-29-2005, 12:25 AM
It is likely that the channel fabric is probably rotten and will have to be replaced.

There are metal U-Shaped channels front and rear. Inside the metal U-shaped channel there is some u-shaped felt-like material that is likely missing or rotten. The glass slides up and down in the channel.

It is available from several vendors. (Alternate: felt 1/2 of velcro-like fastening material available at dollar stores - but you have to fit it to the track.)

As you may guess, it is awkward to replace, because the glass is in and the old material is still in the track. However, it is possible to do it without pulling everything out, but is hard because the access hole under the door panel is not large enough.

Plan on 1-2 hours per door.

Paul

samson009
12-29-2005, 06:43 AM
I have replaced the window channel and ct whiskers.

jan

N8N
12-29-2005, 09:23 AM
How about the pins that fit into the metal at the bottom of the window? Are those worn? Not sure if there should be bushings there or not but if there should, I'd replace those. Also there is a small amount of adjustment in the tracks to tighten up the window, you may want to look at that.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
12-29-2005, 02:03 PM
samson, I'm RIGHT in the middle of replacing all the window runs in my 58 wagon. You say you replaced all the runs. Does this include the one's that effectively make up part of the vent window frame?
Unlike the bendable ones (the oldtimers call them "Skunkbacks" because they have the woven white stripe on the backside), those runs that are a part of the vent window assy are solid steel backed and a bit of a pain to replace because drilling and riveting are involved. (Damned wagon has FOUR vent windows to contend with!:()
Further, if the rivets used to install new runs aren't of a sort that have a very minimal head to them, they can cause the glass to drag on them instead of it sliding along on the "felt" lining.
One approach to rehabbing these rigid runs is to cut strips of a felt lining and glue it into the old run - thereby avoiding having to hassle with drilling and riveting altogether. Trouble is, accurately cutting and gluing that stuff into those runs is iffy at best. And I personally worry about the long-term durability of such a fix.
And too, if you glue that stuff in without throughly removing all the old lining, you risk making the inner dimensions diminished from what it used to be - read that, tighter fit.[}:)]
Of course, if you DID replace those runs with new - and you know that they were re-riveted in fine fashion, then it's something else.
Now, there IS some latitude of adjustment to the aforementioned, solid, front runs. If they're TOO loose, that allows the rocking of the glass that you mention and thus it can get bound between the front and rear runs. It needs to be adjusted tight enough to guide without binding and yet not so loose as to let the glass flop around.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Roscomacaw
12-29-2005, 02:09 PM
BTW, silicone spray in the runs can help sometimes - especially with newly installed runs that might fit a bit tight. Trouble with silicone is that no matter how hard you try, that stuff's gonna land on other parts of the car. It won't damage anything you can see. But it sure can cause you grief sometime down the road when you go to paint your car![xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS