PDA

View Full Version : 1965-66 valve covers

Scott
12-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Dick S. says that no-name style valve covers are common, and not unique the GM 283s that Studebaker bought.

But I have looked high and low on the internet for such valve covers and come up completely empty. If they were that common I would have thought it would be easier to find them. I can buy later ugly boxy ones all day long with holes cut in them, but I am looking for possible replacements for my 1966 Cruiser - and I wanted the original style. I'm not really doubting Dick, because I can tell he is much older and wiser than me, but these valve covers don't seem to be ubiquitous. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Dick Steinkamp
12-27-2005, 06:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Scott

Dick S. says that no-name style valve covers are common, and not unique the GM 283s that Studebaker bought.

But I have looked high and low on the internet for such valve covers and come up completely empty. If they were that common I would have thought it would be easier to find them. I can buy later ugly boxy ones all day long with holes cut in them, but I am looking for possible replacements for my 1966 Cruiser - and I wanted the original style. I'm not really doubting Dick, because I can tell he is much older and wiser than me, but these valve covers don't seem to be ubiquitous. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Older wouldn't be tough considering my advanced years. Wiser would be real tough :)

I'm not sure the no name covers are common, but they were used on engines other than those supplied Studebaker, so it should make your hunt somewhat easier.

Here's a picture of some "no names" I have in my stash...
http://static.flickr.com/38/78218627_cd1baacf51.jpg

I have no idea where I got these (not only am I not wise, I'm forgetfull :D), but note that the two without the vent hole are blue like 70's Chevrolets were painted. They are identical in every way to the ones with a "Chevrolet" script (but of course without the script)
http://static.flickr.com/42/78218629_7ea7306f25.jpg

Chevrolet 327's used a no name cover, but had a raised area for the horse power decal, so they wouldn't work for your needs. Here's a couple varieties of them...
http://static.flickr.com/37/78218628_01379b9047.jpg

Mine will end up on a SBC in my '46 M that I'm "dressing up" to look like a 65-66 Studebaker motor.

If I run across any others, I'll snag them for you. In the meantime, visit your local junk yards and swap meets.

Regards,
-Dick-

dcoffield
12-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Scott, I know you said stock style but you can get covers with no holes in one side and 2 vent pipes on the other from race supply stores. They are usually sold under 'circle track' description. They don't look stock since they usually are tall covers and rather plain. You'd have to buy two pairs to get two plain cover. May not be what you're looking for, but I thought I'd mention it.
c:\8019.jpg

Scott
12-28-2005, 10:03 AM
Yes, I could buy 2 pairs of the new ones and not use the ones with the holes, but I'm not that desperate yet. I just wanted to pop some new ones on the engine right away when I take the current ones off, so I don't have to wait days cleaning up and repainting the ones on the engine before I can complete the project. Sort of instant gratification - plus when I change the gaskets I want to do the whole project in one go.

I don't risk rusting of the valve train if I take the covers off and leave it open for a few days or so, do I? It's winter here and things are pretty dry.