PDA

View Full Version : 64 GT Hawk Serial Number

dhodak
12-25-2005, 11:58 AM
I have recently bought a 64 GT Hawk and am "resurrecting" it. The serial number is 64V II852. I am trying to determine where in the production run this vehicle was made. Considering this was the last year of the Hawk, I wanted to know (for example) if it was one of the last 500, 100, etc, Hawks ever made. I believe only 1700-1800 were made this year total.

Can anyone tell me the serial number range for GT Hawks in this year?

monomaniac
12-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Look at your body number on a plate mounted on the cowl (under hood) on the passenger side. Number 101 would have been the first 64 Hawk. This number would give you an idea of where it was in the production.

studegary
12-25-2005, 09:06 PM
Art's answer about the body number is correct, but I want to correct dhodak on the serial number. Studebaker used I for 1, so your serial number really is; 64V11852. There were 1772 '64 Hawks.

I purchased my '64 Hawk from the original owner who had purchased a new Hawk every year from '56 through '64 with two new Hawks for '64. I wonder if there was anyone else that either bought a new Hawk every year they were offered or bought two new '64 Hawks.

GTtim
12-25-2005, 10:16 PM
If you want to find out exactly when your Hawk was built you will need to order a production order from the museum. I have two of them for Hawks, the one with #19792 (body #1495) was built on 12/18/63, the other with #8165 (body #744) was built on 9/25/63. I guess the last number V-8 was 20202 or something like that. Serial numbers weren't seperated for body type. I believe a Hawk was one of the last cars built in South Bend.

Gary, I can't imagine that very many Hawk owners bought a new one every year let alone two of them in '64. That fellow obviously knew what he liked and wanted to enjoy it to the last. The owner of that car would have to be like the car itself, a virtual 'one of a kind'.

Tim K.

55s
12-26-2005, 12:20 AM
I don't know about that.

My dad bought a new 61 hawk, and replaced it with a new 63.

I also have a Speedster, one of two purchased by the same original owner. Unfortunately, the other met with an accident before this one was bought, so it was gone.

Paul

studegary
12-26-2005, 02:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by 55s

I don't know about that.

My dad bought a new 61 hawk, and replaced it with a new 63.

I also have a Speedster, one of two purchased by the same original owner. Unfortunately, the other met with an accident before this one was bought, so it was gone.

Paul

But the original owner of my '64 Hawk bought TEN new Hawks - one for every year and two for 1964 - not two new Hawks. None of his cars were replaced due to accident damage. He just liked Hawks and bought new ones. He was not in any way connected to the automobile business. I could see where maybe a dealer might have had a new Hawk every year, but not around here.

dhodak
12-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Sorry guys, my body plate was missing when I bought the car. Guess I'm going to have to order a production order.

studegary
12-29-2005, 02:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by dhodak

Sorry guys, my body plate was missing when I bought the car. Guess I'm going to have to order a production order.

It is rare that a body number plate is removed from a complete car, unless some number switching is taking place. Does the serial number plate appear to be tampered with? It will be interesting to see what the build order for your serial number states.

dhodak
12-29-2005, 06:16 PM
The body plate was missing but the serial number plate looks original and "untampered". The production order will clear things up. My estimation is the body number is aound 1100 (half way through the production run).