This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient Electrical question

Do the starters for 6 volt cars adhere to the same rules regarding length, ie, automatics are 1/2" longer than stick starters.
    My 55-56 shop manual states 2 different starters for the 55 President (6H), the Delco 1107116 for the automatic and Delco 1107115 for the standard transmission.

I want to replace the armature on my 55 Pres starter (6 volt, DG Automatic). The Chassis Manual only lists one part number (#526875) for starter armatures, with no mention of transmission type. So what do the different starter numbers, in the shop manual, relate to?
    thanks and Happy Holidays..

The difference is in the "nose" of the starter. The cast iron part. Because the ring gear that the starter's gear engages is farther back from the hole than the ring gear on a stick shift flywheel, the automatic starter's bendix has to reach further into the bellhousing to engage the gear. That's why it's "nose" sticks deeper into the bellhousing. The armatures ARE the same. So's the bendix. The only part different is that end housing (nose) piece.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Aha!, many thanks........ and SASCO has another order...
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
      X