This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door screws

Does anyone know where i can find a phillips bit large enough to take out the door hinge screws on my 64 wagon and challenger? A #3 philips looks like it is too small. Thanks guys, have a Merry Christmas.

desertdoc

64 Challenger project
    64 Wagoinare project

I am not sure of the number size fot the proper bit, but I know those screws can be a bear to break loose. I went to Sears, and bought a hand impact kit, the one you hit with a big hammer. It came with bit that fit just right. Get extra bits for the impact, you may need them, I did.

Ross.
    57 Provincial
    58 Transtar
    66 Wagonaire
    sigpic
    Ross.
    Riverside, Ca.
    1957 Provincial X2
    1958 Transtar

Comment

You're right, #3 is too small. Regular #4 is not the correct bit either, although it may work. Look for a #4 POSIDRIVE. This is important! That isn't a brand name, it describes the shape and size of the tool bit head. It fits the screw slots correctly. You may find this bit at an industrial tool supply, or a NAPA store, or you may have to hang around a dealership/repair garage and meet one of the tool truck drivers on his route day. Snap-On sold this item as part # FPD-41. Couldn't tell you if that's still a good number. Get a good quality hand impact driver too.

Dwain G.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

One of those hammer type impact driver tools ia almost a requirement to get these screws out reliably. Having tried several different methods and breaking about every Phillips bit known to man, I keep this tool in special reserve to take these screws out. SASCO had a bunch of these screws in stock, although I don't think they were listed at the official part number.
        Hope the info helps...
        Jeff[8D]

[quote]Originally posted by desertdoc

Does anyone know where i can find a phillips bit large enough to take out the door hinge screws on my 64 wagon and challenger? A #3 philips looks like it is too small. Thanks guys, have a Merry Christmas.
        desertdoc [quote]

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
        '37 Coupe Express
        '37 Coupe Express Trailer
        '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sears has a impact screwdriver that uses a 5/16" shank and a 1/2" drive use that socket on your 1/2" air impact and the door screws come out like they were put in yesterday.

Comment

I'll third the hand impact tool. I usually use a hard rubber mallet. I had no problem getting them out, but my car also came from California .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Well, living in California, and having dealt with many a California Studebaker, I can state catagorically that it's not instant insurance that the door screws will just spin right out! Fact is, I had to drill out 4 door hinge screws on this 58 Provincial just recently. The heads just twisted right off and I was left with the task of drilling out the screw shanks.[xx(] Not one of my FAVORITE jobs, but with a good drill bit and an easy-out, they've all gone bye-bye now.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
              X