PDA

View Full Version : Door screws

desertdoc
12-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Does anyone know where i can find a phillips bit large enough to take out the door hinge screws on my 64 wagon and challenger? A #3 philips looks like it is too small. Thanks guys, have a Merry Christmas.

desertdoc

64 Challenger project
64 Wagoinare project

Rosstude
12-23-2005, 11:51 PM
I am not sure of the number size fot the proper bit, but I know those screws can be a bear to break loose. I went to Sears, and bought a hand impact kit, the one you hit with a big hammer. It came with bit that fit just right. Get extra bits for the impact, you may need them, I did.

Ross.
57 Provincial
58 Transtar
66 Wagonaire

Dwain G.
12-24-2005, 12:26 AM
You're right, #3 is too small. Regular #4 is not the correct bit either, although it may work. Look for a #4 POSIDRIVE. This is important! That isn't a brand name, it describes the shape and size of the tool bit head. It fits the screw slots correctly. You may find this bit at an industrial tool supply, or a NAPA store, or you may have to hang around a dealership/repair garage and meet one of the tool truck drivers on his route day. Snap-On sold this item as part # FPD-41. Couldn't tell you if that's still a good number. Get a good quality hand impact driver too.

Dwain G.

DEEPNHOCK
12-24-2005, 08:16 AM
One of those hammer type impact driver tools ia almost a requirement to get these screws out reliably. Having tried several different methods and breaking about every Phillips bit known to man, I keep this tool in special reserve to take these screws out. SASCO had a bunch of these screws in stock, although I don't think they were listed at the official part number.
Hope the info helps...
Jeff[8D]

[quote]Originally posted by desertdoc

Does anyone know where i can find a phillips bit large enough to take out the door hinge screws on my 64 wagon and challenger? A #3 philips looks like it is too small. Thanks guys, have a Merry Christmas.
desertdoc [quote]

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Alan
12-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Sears has a impact screwdriver that uses a 5/16" shank and a 1/2" drive use that socket on your 1/2" air impact and the door screws come out like they were put in yesterday.

Swifster
12-24-2005, 11:13 AM
I'll third the hand impact tool. I usually use a hard rubber mallet. I had no problem getting them out, but my car also came from California :) .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

Roscomacaw
12-24-2005, 01:35 PM
Well, living in California, and having dealt with many a California Studebaker, I can state catagorically that it's not instant insurance that the door screws will just spin right out! Fact is, I had to drill out 4 door hinge screws on this 58 Provincial just recently. The heads just twisted right off and I was left with the task of drilling out the screw shanks.[xx(] Not one of my FAVORITE jobs, but with a good drill bit and an easy-out, they've all gone bye-bye now.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS