This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 327 Studebaker engine?

I have been told that Studebaker offered a 327 which was actually a Chevrolet engine. Is this true? If so, what was it offered in. Does anyone know any other specifics about it such as color. Did it have any decals on it designating it as a Studebaker engine? Any help would be great. Thanks.....

quote:Originally posted by chrisrip

I have been told that Studebaker offered a 327 which was actually a Chevrolet engine. Is this true? If so, what was it offered in. Does anyone know any other specifics about it such as color. Did it have any decals on it designating it as a Studebaker engine? Any help would be great. Thanks.....
    No, but they offered a 289 which was actually a Ford engine [}]

The last Studebakers (1965 and 1966) used Chevrolet engines. The V8 was a 283 CID. They were painted black and had valve cover decals identifying them as a "Studebaker Thunderbolt V8". After Studebaker closed, Newman and Altman bought the rights to the Avanti and produced a car called Avanti II. The early ones had Chevrolet 327 (later 350) CID V8's. I believe they had chromed valve covers with "Avanti II 327" decals in the center of the valve covers. I don't know what color these engines were painted.

Studebaker never offered a 327...Chevrolet or otherwise.

-Dick-
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

And Chris, Dick's statement about Stude using a F*rd 289 was made strictly tongue-in-cheek.[}] Stude NEVER USED a F*rd engine of ANY sort. Studebaker's 289 just HAPPENED to be of the same displacment. It bears NO resemblence to anything from the blue oval company.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That's right Dick, the 327 engine was in the Avanti 2 for a few years. I've got one in my Champ truck. Rember the pictures of the mounts, if you look at the bellhousing and starter, the starter bolts on the bellhousing with 3 bolts, and the engine has the small main bearings. Altman must of bought some surplus 327's. Because Chevy used large mains from late 68 up.

Comment

Shucks, Biggs, you KNOW that those Chebby 327 engines went into the secret '67 production Studebakers, along with those 4-bbl carbs!

Semi-seriously, though, wasn't the 327 engine part of the performance option that never took place for '66 cars ? I have been told that the McKinnon 283s had very thick cylinder walls and could be bored out (3.875" > 4.000") to get a 327 with a crank change (3.00" > 3.25" stroke). The U.S. '58-'62 283 blocks apparently could also be bored .125 over. The 327 crank (2 bolt, 2.30" mains) came in '62. The rods back then all seem to be 5.70" long. The big question would be if the McKinnon block was also relieved to let a longer stroke crank turn free. I've got the old McKinnon block out in the shed - how could I tell (not having a 327 crank handy)? I once-upon-a-time I had a stupid plan to turn my McKinnon 283 into 327.

Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, MA
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          Pictures and stories of Studebaker cars and trucks, including 1965 Wagonaire, 1963 Wagonaire, 1953 Commander Starliner, and 1948 M5 half-ton pickup truck. Test drive the Wagonaire. Stereo sound from 1965 music. Cars owned by Gary Ash, Dartmouth, Mass.
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Gary Ash exhorts: "Shucks, Biggs, you KNOW that those Chebby 327 engines went into the secret '67 production Studebakers, along with those 4-bbl carbs!"

Yes, I was just keeping it hush-hush at the factory's request. NOW, blabbermouth, the cat's outta the bag![:0][}] They ARE still buidling them in Canada, don't ya know![8]
            One of the reasons GM's got a sliver of an edge over Toyota is because of the vintage drivelines they're supplying Studebaker with![:0]

But seriously.......... I think I too remember the aire about the 327 being intro'd as a Stude option. Heh - who would care anyway if you did such today???

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Couple of comments:

1) I seem to remember there is a way to get 327 cuin out of a Stude 289 block, bore it out and stroker and/or offset ground crank? I remember someone having a GT Hawk a few years back with one of these in it.

2) Didn't the later Avantis have 400 cu in Chevy engines, the infamous siamese cylinder small block?

Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              58 C Cab
              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

[:I] Interesting how often this comes up. Dwain Grindingwer fielded this same question in the January 2006 Co-Operator, soon to arrive in your mail boxes. [] BP

BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys....this may sound strange, but here's why I wanted to know. I have a 54 Hudson Super Jet, and I am making a rat rod out of it. I have a real nice 300 horse 327. I was thinking if Studebaker used the bowtie 327, I would just paint this one and make it look like a Stude engine. I may make a "Thunderbolt V8" out of it. Just want something a little different......

Comment

Chris - now if you REALLY want "C O O L" put a Stude V8 in that Hudson! Man, you talk about something that would generate amazement!!![:0][:0][:0]

Your car - YOUR choice, but bow-tie powered refits abound. They're as common as tap water.[|)] DARE to be differrent!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

quote:Originally posted by chrisrip

Thanks for the info guys....this may sound strange, but here's why I wanted to know. I have a 54 Hudson Super Jet, and I am making a rat rod out of it. I have a real nice 300 horse 327. I was thinking if Studebaker used the bowtie 327, I would just paint this one and make it look like a Stude engine. I may make a "Thunderbolt V8" out of it. Just want something a little different......
                      <h4>A 300 HP 327 is a very nice engine! The valve cover decals that say "Studebaker Thunderbolt V8" are available from Studebaker International http://www.studebaker-intl.com/index.html . You will have to get some later, smooth style valve covers, since the 300/327 came with ones that only allow a small HP decal in the middle and the Studebaker decal is long.

Gary Ash who responded here has a nicely detailed "Thunderbolt" in his wagon. Ask him for some pics.

Here's a 365 HP/327 in my '54.

-Dick-</h4>
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

John Erb came up with this several years ago. I'm not positive of the exact bore and stroke but think it was 3.656" bore (R 3) and 3.875" stroke that came out to just over 325 cu. in.

Ted

quote:Originally posted by Dan White

Couple of comments:

1) I seem to remember there is a way to get 327 cuin out of a Stude 289 block, bore it out and stroker and/or offset ground crank? I remember someone having a GT Hawk a few years back with one of these in it.

2) Didn't the later Avantis have 400 cu in Chevy engines, the infamous siamese cylinder small block?

Dan White
                        64 R1 GT
                        64 R2 GT

Comment

AMC had a 327 V8, but it was also no relation to the Chevy 327.

Comment

The main journal sizes are different between the 283(small journal, 2.30") and the 327(medium journal, 2.45"). So if you want to bore and stroke the 283 up to a 327 you would also need to turn the crank main journals down. Rod journals are 2.00" on the 283 and 2.10" on the 327. Both used 5.7" rods. Not plug and play but do-able.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has done this.[?] 283 blocks are a lot cheaper than 327's around here.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dan White

Couple of comments:

Dan White

64 R1 GT
                              64 R2 GT
                              IRT Dan White's second question, yes, 1972 - 76 I believe. I have a 74 with the 400 cu in small block. Interestingly, it's stamped with the standard Chevy engine number that indicates the build date, displacement, and the car line and transmission it was built for. Chevy intended the 400 in my Avanti II to be installed in a 74 Malibu with automatic (my car has 4-speed). It is my understanding that all or most of the Chevy 400s installed in Avanti IIs came similarly stamped.

Skip Lackie
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X