• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50-51 Bumper question

There's a bumper from a 1951 Champion on sale on Ebay this week. I
    think it's the same part number as the 1950 Champ, and I would like to
    get a new one for my 1950. Mine's got a pretty good bend in it that someone
    tried to straighten once without very good results. I think the one on Ebay looks pretty straight and clean. Is it, in fact, the same bumper on the 1950 and 1951 Champions? My parts catalog has it as #525061 for the 1950 Champ.

If you have a good plating shop in your area it would be cheaper to have them straighten and replate it, than to pay the price the seller is wanting for the ebBay bumper. You should be able to get your existing bumper done for around $300.00 to $350.00 and not have to pay for shipping and handling. If the bumper you are talking about is the one I saw, I think the price was at $375.00 plus you would still have to add the shipping & handling fees.

Studebaker Fever
    60 Lark
    51 Champion
    Phil

Studebaker Fever
    60 Lark
    56 Power Hawk
    Phil Hendrickson
    Arnold, Missouri

Comment

That number is correct for 51 Champions built in Canada. The USA issue bumper was part#530919W I don't recall what, if any difference there was. I know the guards were markedly different in shape but I don't know if a 50 guard fits the contour of a 51 bumper (USA issue) or vise versa.[B)]
      My guess is it would fit your car. I say that because the same bumper brackets were used on Canadian and US made Champions for '51[8D]

BTW, I agree with 60 Lark's feelings about having yours redone. I recently had front AND rear bumpers AND 3 guards done for $440 total. That included some straightening as well!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

There's a 51 Champ bumper on Ebay -- it has not been replated or anything,
        and it looks to be straight and not rusty in any significant way. Current price is
        $20 with no bids. The last one like it went for a whopping $60 (plus shipping of course),
        so I was thinking to short-circuit the hassle of replating. Most of the chrome on my
        car is nice enough for a driver and cleans up with some polish. Seems like you really
        win with replating jobs when you can bring in a nice big bunch of parts at once.
        Anyhoo, thanks for the opinions about it.

Comment

I wondered too why the different part no. since the face bars appear identical. I see in Book F when you look up 525061 it says to use 530919.

Dwain G.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
          X