PDA

View Full Version : suspension and frames

1941stude
12-20-2005, 08:00 PM
would like info/diagrams on types used on'40 thru '65 passenger cars.

Dick Steinkamp
12-20-2005, 08:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by 1941stude

would like info/diagrams on types used on'40 thru '65 passenger cars.

Why?

-Dick-

studegary
12-20-2005, 10:46 PM
In general, there are only a few BASIC TYPES of frame/suspension combinations during that time span. When you get into details like; wheelbase, frame gauge, crossmembers, X-members, type of shock, etc., you will get into MANY differences. The shop manuals should give the information that you want, but please better define what the specifics are that you need to know (and Dick's question of Why).

Dick Steinkamp
12-21-2005, 01:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

In general, there are only a few BASIC TYPES of frame/suspension combinations during that time span. When you get into details like; wheelbase, frame gauge, crossmembers, X-members, type of shock, etc., you will get into MANY differences. The shop manuals should give the information that you want, but please better define what the specifics are that you need to know (and Dick's question of Why).

I wasn't tring to be a smart ass (for once :D) with my response of "Why"? It's just to list all the info and publish all the diagrams for all the permutations of Studebaker passenger car frames and suspensions from '40-'65 would be a fairly major task. If we knew why the info was needed, maybe we could narrow the project and help.

-Dick-

1941stude
12-21-2005, 01:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I wasn't tring to be a smart ass (for once :D) with my response of "Why"? It's just to list all the info and publish all the diagrams for all the permutations of Studebaker passenger car frames and suspensions from '40-'65 would be a fairly major task. If we knew why the info was needed, maybe we could narrow the project and help.

-Dick-

1941stude
12-21-2005, 03:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by 1941stude

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

-Dick-

1941stude
12-21-2005, 03:25 PM
I'm planning on owning a Studebaker within the next 12-18 months. Currently, I have a '50 ford. I have a good basic understanding of frames, suspension, and components on the pre-war and post-war Fords, but not Studebakers. Just wanted this information for my own edification. I didn't realize there were so many themes and variations within this time span. How about if I downsize my request somewhat? What information can you provide on the '39-'42 Presidents and Commanders, Lowey coupes, and GT Hawks ? .....Thanks[:I]

studegary
12-21-2005, 09:13 PM
I will give a stab at part of this question. First, the man's name is Loewy. What are referred to as Loewy (Bourke) coupes, Hawks and GTs are C (coupe) and K (hardtop) body models. They were manufactured from 1953 through 1964 model years. They are all 120.5 inch wheelbase. The frames are similar design with improvement in metal gauge, cross members, etc. up through the series. The hardtop (K) bodies have a torque box (hog trough) that acts as a strengthener to work in conjunction with the frame. This is an area prone to rust and weakness. The frames were designed to flex as a stand alone component. They were designed to work in concert with the body. This was a step toward unit body, sort of like bias-belted tires. It did help to keep the weight of the cars down which helps efficiency (performance and economy). The front suspension system is similar (king pins, coil springs) for all 1951 through 1966 model Studebaker cars.