X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator Overflowing

Hey Guys,
    In my 65 Commander V-8, I just got the radiator recored and I put it in, hooked up the trans cooler hoses, hooked up the radiator hoses, poured in the antifreeze, and when it got hot (while I was watching it to see if the antifreeze was flowing) it blew antifreeze all over the engine bay. I figured it was the thermostat, so that was replaced with another 180 degree therm. and it did it again. Any ideas? Im going to let it cool down and see if the radiator isn't clogged somewhere (eventhough its new), then check for hose clogs. Still, when the engine got hot, the hoses were not hot at all.

Nate

quote:Originally posted by Studenut65

and when it got hot (while I was watching it to see if the antifreeze was flowing) it blew antifreeze all over the engine bay.
    Where did the coolant come from that "blew all over the engine bay"? Hose, radiator cap, gasket, overflow tube? What did the engine temperature gauge indicate?

Open cooling systems will "puke" a certain amount of coolant if they are filled to the top of the radiator. This is normal. Once they "puke" and the coolant level is lowered in the radiator, they will be fine. Could this be the case?

-Dick-

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Also a recently refilled system can be purging air. The coolant could be the cork that impeded it's exit.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
      X