PDA

View Full Version : stude truck help

gotti210
12-19-2005, 06:29 PM
ok guys i was in a salvage yard a few days ago an ran across a (i was told 1947) stude truck and would like to post some pics a see what you guys think

should i buy it and what is it worth

how do i post pics on here

Dwain G.
12-19-2005, 07:55 PM
If you have several pictures it might be best to put them in a Webshots album and open it for viewing, then send the url to the forum.
http://www.webshots.com/homepage.html
It must be in pretty good shape and mostly complete if you are considering buying it.

Dwain G.

Roscomacaw
12-19-2005, 09:27 PM
Can't even BEGIN a "what's it worth" guess without some real info as to how complete it is and how rough it is.

Is it a pickup or some old farm haulin' 1&1/2 ton? Is it complete or are you gonna spend time and bucks rounding up what's been scavenged from it over the years? Is it a rust bucket or is it relatively solid?[:I] Lotsa questions![}:)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

gotti210
12-19-2005, 11:11 PM
well as for the outside of the truck its all there all the way down to the chrome on the hood both headlight lenses the tallights the original front bumper

it is missing one outside door handle (not a prob gonna shave em anyways) along with one parking light lens

the windshield is there but severly cracked
passenger side wing and door window looks to be in descent shape
the divers door window is there but missing the glass from wing (just glass, the channel is there )

the interior has been gutted meaning seats and steering column is gone

dash and guages are there and looks to be salvagable

engine and tranny are M.I.A

someone somewhere in its past life has welded a new front clip out of some sort of gm vehicle under the truck in a very scabby manor

my plans are to clean up the body and do a complete running chassis transplant from a big bodied cutlass (cira 1976)
by doing so i figure the truck to ride like grandmas caddy, have plenty of horses, power steering , power brakes, ac
do a 60/40 bench out of a early 90's chevy pickup and elect windows
shaved door handles, and be plenty low, you know all the amenities of a new car but still have the classic stude truck body lines

all this starting with a $500 investment in the truck and a freebie sunday to church, grandama driven Cutlass

what you think guys

gordr
12-20-2005, 07:22 AM
Gotti, that truck sounds like someone else's abandoned streetrod project, so it wouldn't break my heart to see you finish the truck in the fashion you describe. I think you could make fit the Cutlass chassis if you work at it.

Is the truck an M-series or a C-cab truck? I'm sure there are pics on the SDC site here to illustrate the difference between the two. There is a lot of misinformation spread around about Stude trucks because of NSRA's silly little pre-'49 rule.

M-series trucks ('41-'48) are tall and narrow compared to the C-cabs that succeeded them, and they have running boards, and the grille has only vertical slits (lots of 'em). If you have an M truck with a swingout military-style windshield, it is a '46; all others have fixed windshields.

C-cab trucks were introduced in mid-'48 as '49 models. They are much "rounder" in style than the M trucks, have concealed running boards inside the doors, and the grille is composed of only horizontal slots, relatively few of them at that. The 2R series ran from '49 to '53 (and it's many of these that are misrepresented as '48s to qualify for NSRA). 3R was '54 only, and saw the introduction of the one-piece curved windshield. "E" series commenced in '55, but all of these are C-cab trucks, using the same basic stampings.

Hope this helps.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Roscomacaw
12-20-2005, 03:16 PM
If it's an M or an early C, all the glass is just flat stuff. Easily cut at any glass shop.;) Sounds reasonable if the "$500 investment" you speak of is what the yard wants for the truck.
Since you're gonna cusstomize it anyway, what's missing won't matter to you anyway!:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

gotti210
12-20-2005, 05:15 PM
from what your telling me its an m series

and yeah biggs it gonna be majorly customized and streetrodded

i grew up in a street rod family (nothing but 1932 fords) so im familiar NSRA and with the difference in the trucks and its the one with all vertical teeth

which should be 46-48 correct

im looking forward to this project
my 50 champ was fun but i didnt get to heavy into the customizing cause it was to clean to cut up and play with
but this is alot different

rockne10
12-20-2005, 08:39 PM
M series could be as early as 41.

Sounds like you want, and found, a straight, solid body with most trim intact for your project. I'd say go for it.

If you pick the right donor chassis, you may be able to drop the body on with little alteration (okay, I'm exaggerating). Measure wheelbase and track width.

I have a friend who plans on shortening a Caprice chassis to hold a 50 Starlight and his son is going to put his 56 pickup body onto a Dodge Cummins turbo chassis, which will also require surgery.