PDA

View Full Version : Inline 6 v8 automatic

TTodd
12-17-2005, 06:48 AM
I have a 1961 six cylinder Lark with a bad tranny will a v8 tranny work behond my inline six

61 Lark
61 Lark Cruser VIII

Roscomacaw
12-18-2005, 02:30 PM
The tranny would work. While I don't know for sure if your 6cyl tranny started out in 1st gear, the V8 tranny probably is set up for 2nd gear start. And you can't just switch valve bodies to achieve 1st gear start in this instance. So you'd be starting out in 2nd gear hence forth. (Actualy you CAN switch a 6cyl valve body into a V8 trans but only from the 56 thru 60 Flight-o-Matics - best be sure you also take the 6cyl governor along with the valve body tho;)).

The 61 and 62 versions of the 6cyl FOM incorporated a sprag clutch that earlier versions don't have. Consequently, the 61-62 6cylinder valve bodies won't jive with earlier trans units (this according to John Metzker - SDC's tech advisor on Flight-o-Matic and standard shift trannies)
I THINK you'd have to retain the 6cylinder's torque converter tho! There's a difference in part numbers and I think that difference might have to do with either the diameter of the starter ring gear or the tooth count. But it WILL fit up to the tranny, no problem.
One thing for sure - if you DO use the V8 trans with the 6's torque converter, have the torque converter professionally serviced. You can't do a good enough job yourself, of flushing out whatever contaminats might be inside it from whatever it was that failed in the transmission.[xx(] It would be a shame to gum up that good tranny with crap from the first one!:(

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

TTodd
12-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Thand for the reply. My old Lark driver suddenly decided not to go backward any more it acts like it is locked up when you put in reverse. I do have a good tranny out of a donner car. Any idea what it would cost to rebuild the old tranny.

Thanks a million

Tony

61 Lark
61 Lark Cruser VIII

Roscomacaw
12-19-2005, 09:36 PM
If you find the right shop. And YOU do the removal and reinstall of the tranny - I'd think a price range of $400 to $650 ought to be right. That's WITH them rehabbing the torque converter;)
Part of the trick to getting a fair price is to tell them you've got an old cast iron case, Ford-o-matic you want overhauled.[}:)]
If you say "Studebaker" you're gonna see them "zone out"! They'll get that glassy, far away look in their eyes as they search for ways to beg off from even touching it. This reaction will be borne of the fact that their certain you're gonna present them with something that might as well have come from a flying saucer as far as they're concerned![:0]
Once they SEE it and you assure them it's essentially a Ford tranny with a different shift pattern, it should be easy to get them to play along.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

gordr
12-20-2005, 07:00 AM
Tony, don't be too quick about condemning your present transmission as bad. Sounds to me like it might be stuck between Low and Reverse, and that condition is frequently caused by soft motor or tranny mounts allowing the tranny to sag beyond the "reach" of the shift linkage. A "quick fix" is to simply lengthen the shifter rod a bit, but the right fix is replace any bad mounts.

If the transmission is indeed bad, you can overhaul it yourself. They are NOT all that hard to work on, you know. If you have any kind of mechanical talent at all, and a copy of the shop manual (or a Motors or Chilton book of the right age), you can overhaul it in a day. Special tools are limited to few sizes of snap ring pliers, and a device to compress the springs in the clutch pack. I made one from a length of redi-rod. The "pusher" is simply a big washer with three legs made of 1/4" rod rod welded at equal intervals around its periphery, so that it looks like a little 3-legged stool.

I believe some the regular Studebaker vendors sell service kits for the transmsission, or you can go to a transmission parts supply house and order the kit for the cast iron Cruisomatic. All but one or two of the "O" ring seals fit, and the clutches are all the same. You do have to VERY careful to pick the right valve body gasket.

I've done a couple of them, and had good luck with both.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Roscomacaw
12-20-2005, 03:22 PM
I agree with Gord here. The only thing you CAN'T do is take apart the torque convertor. You'd want to send it off and have it done if you did the tranny yourself. It would be a real shame to have your freshly overhauld trans get contaminated by crap that was caught up in the TC![:0][}:)]:( And you can't really successfully flush them yourself.;)
Fact is, if you did send off your convertor and the ring gear was showing some wear, you could request that they flip over the ring gear while they have the TC apart. That gives you a fresh gear face that'll last another 40-some years![:0][^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

TTodd
12-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the replys. I've never worked on a auto before have done several old sm 420 Chevy four speeds so I might give it a try I'll take a look at the shifter rods and see if I'm suffering from mount sag. This is my first Studebaker and I'm realy falling in love with the old rust bucket.

Thanks agin

Tony

61 Lark
61 Lark Cruser VIII