PDA

View Full Version : early column shifter seals

studeboy28
12-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Does any one know the national seal number for the seals used on the shifter rods where they come out the side of the transmissions used on the 1940 to 46 cars? I need to replace these and can't seem to find a listing for them anywhere.

28 dictator
40 commander

Roscomacaw
12-17-2005, 12:12 AM
Wow! The NATIONAL number??? That woud be a tough one! The Stude part # is 196151
Call Studebaker International and ask them if they have that number.
If that tranny's a T-96 (as was used in '47 thru '52 Champion cars), the number for the seals for that later vintage trans is 674869 and SI has those for $6.25 apiece.:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

dpson
12-17-2005, 04:55 PM
I dug out a couple NOS 196151 seals and took a look at them to see if they might have a National number on them, no luck. They are simply a small cork tube. The ones I have are pretty dryed out and would take a couple days of being immersed in water to see if they would come back to life. It looks like you could make your own seals by using sheet cork of the about the right thickness (cork is pretty compresable)and using the shift shaft to form the material into a cylinder. The ends could probably be glued together or, given the viscosity of tranny oil, if the unglued ends (seam) were put at the top of the opening in the tranny case I suspect it would leak very little. I don't beleive there is much internal pressure on this seal, just the tranny fluid slogging around in the case as you turn corners, etc.

I also checked a couple older (late 1950's/early1960's) National Seal catalogs and they showed no listing back then for shaft seals for Studebakers prior to 1947, so even if you came up with an older number I suspect it would be NLA. Anyway I hope this helps.

gordr
12-17-2005, 08:27 PM
I know my '40 Champion has a T84 transmission in it. I don't know if it uses the same seals as the later T96 and T86 trannies, but it wouldn't surpise me; after all, the crucial dimension is the diameter of the shift lever shaft.

There could be part numbers differences even so, if the prewar cars used a cork ring, and the postwar cars a metal-cased rawhide seal.

Those seals don't have any pressure behind them (unless the vent in the top cover is plugged, in which case it'll leak out the front bad, too), so why not just find a suitable "O" ring that will press into the pocket where the cork ring fit? If need be, a washer could be placed on the shift shaft to retain the "O" ring.

If I were at home, I could easily check this, as I have a spare '40 tranny on the floor, but I am at work, basically marking time. Grrr!

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Roscomacaw
12-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Not knowing exactly WHAT they look like, I was being cautious about suggesting an alternative, but hearing what Dan and Gordon have to say, I'd have to concur that an O-ring of the right size would probably do nicely!;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

studeboy28
12-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the input. I will get out my o ring selection and try to find one that will work. I didn't want to dig out the old seal until I knew I had something to put back in its place.

28 dictator
40 commander