People Do Not Know The SDC Exists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People Do Not Know The SDC Exists

I am highjacking this from another thread.

During the York meet folks were amazed that a wiper motor sold on E-bay for almost three times the price offered by Studebaker Vendors. Last night I stated that during the Christmas selling season when I asked folks where did they see our ad? On the Web, or in the Magazine?

The response was....... what ad?...where?....what magazine?

Today a gentleman called and ordered some shirts and hats and was proud to announce that he just purchased a perfect Commander. I asked him if he was a member of the SDC, and he asked what the SDC was? I explained what IT was, I told him to join and explained there is a huge vendor network.

I am wondering if the prices being driven up on E-Bay are actually people buying car parts because they do not know about our vendor network, local chapters and the reguarly scheduled swapmeets since they don't belong to the SDC.

It is definatley not the SDC's fault, but possibly, when we meet new Studebaker owners at shows and cruises, or sell parts on E-bay, maybe we should insert membership blanks.

BG

SAVE THE STUDEBAKER.....SAVE THE WORLD.

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

I am wondering if the prices being driven up on E-Bay are actually people buying car parts because they do not know about our vendor network, local chapters and the reguarly scheduled swapmeets since they don't belong to the SDC.
    I think you are right, Bill. Other than the Lark wagon that Bob bought, I have not sold a car to an SDCer. GT Hawks have taken a big jump in price in the last year, but are still half of an equivalent Ford or Chevy. The non SDC car guys see them as a bargain. The SDCers see them as overpriced.

The Cruiser JP just offered to the Forum is a good example...give away price. No takers. It will sell for double what JP offered to us for when he lists it on eBay.

The guys buying these cars no doubt do not all know about SDC. I'll start putting a link to the SDC web site in my eBay ads. Hopefully we can start educating new and potential owners of Studebakers about the
    SDC.

I think JP has gone as far as to give away the first year membership in SDC to folks who buy his cars. A great idea [^] !

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I think you are right, Bill. Other than the Lark wagon that Bob bought, I have not sold a car to an SDCer. GT Hawks have taken a big jump in price in the last year, but are still half of an equivalent Ford or Chevy. The non SDC car guys see them as a bargain. The SDCers see them as overpriced.

The Cruiser JP just offered to the Forum is a good example...give away price. No takers. It will sell for double what JP offered to us for when he lists it on eBay.

The guys buying these cars no doubt do not all know about SDC. I'll start putting a link to the SDC web site in my eBay ads. Hopefully we can start educating new and potential owners of Studebakers about the
      SDC.

I think JP has gone as far as to give away the first year membership in SDC to folks who buy his cars. A great idea [^] !

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I dont sell anything on ebay, all I have is my website and I have had a link up for both the SDC and JDP's site for some time now. I don't know if it's driving any traffic this way but I can always hope. Just doing my part.[8D]

Randy_G
        South Bend or Bust 2007!
        God I miss chrome on cars.
        This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

I dont sell anything on ebay, all I have is my website and I have had a link up for both the SDC and JDP's site for some time now. I don't know if it's driving any traffic this way but I can always hope. Just doing my part.[8D]

Randy_G
          South Bend or Bust 2007!
          God I miss chrome on cars.
          This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Randy_G

I dont sell anything on ebay, all I have is my website and I have had a link up for both the SDC and JDP's site
            Your site is a great service, and you link to the right places (except me ), But, people who visit your site are somewhat into the hobby, and are looking for more information. Was there a dealer near me, what is the backstory etc. My issue is that folks buying cars and especially parts have no idea we exist. All the parts sold on e-bay are an indication that that the huge vendor support that the SDC proudly advertises is not reaching the great masses. Some vendors have used E-bay very successfully, getting top dollar and they are entitled to get what they can. But, there ia s huge void between the amount of Studebakers out there, and the membership lsit.

I sent out the 1986 WNBC-TV 6:06 Studebaker Story to be placed on You-Tube. When it aired, Floydd Kramer who was the reporter, did his homework, along with Tony Caralla's help and on the video, and in 1986 it was estimated, again I say estimated that there were 200,000 Studebakers still around. Now that was 20 plus years ago, and even with attrition, there are far more Studebakers out there than members of the SDC.

When I got my first job in TV, it was on UHF Ch.31 WNYC-TV, at that time it's viewing audience was just the people who were in the control room and behind the cameras. But if we DID get a letter from a viewer complaining about a show, or complimenting a show, according to the ratings system in the 60's that meant 10,000 people were viewing. If we go by the sales of parts on E-bay to non SDC members we have a vast audience out there, and they are untapped.

BG

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Randy_G

I dont sell anything on ebay, all I have is my website and I have had a link up for both the SDC and JDP's site
              Your site is a great service, and you link to the right places (except me ), But, people who visit your site are somewhat into the hobby, and are looking for more information. Was there a dealer near me, what is the backstory etc. My issue is that folks buying cars and especially parts have no idea we exist. All the parts sold on e-bay are an indication that that the huge vendor support that the SDC proudly advertises is not reaching the great masses. Some vendors have used E-bay very successfully, getting top dollar and they are entitled to get what they can. But, there ia s huge void between the amount of Studebakers out there, and the membership lsit.

I sent out the 1986 WNBC-TV 6:06 Studebaker Story to be placed on You-Tube. When it aired, Floydd Kramer who was the reporter, did his homework, along with Tony Caralla's help and on the video, and in 1986 it was estimated, again I say estimated that there were 200,000 Studebakers still around. Now that was 20 plus years ago, and even with attrition, there are far more Studebakers out there than members of the SDC.

When I got my first job in TV, it was on UHF Ch.31 WNYC-TV, at that time it's viewing audience was just the people who were in the control room and behind the cameras. But if we DID get a letter from a viewer complaining about a show, or complimenting a show, according to the ratings system in the 60's that meant 10,000 people were viewing. If we go by the sales of parts on E-bay to non SDC members we have a vast audience out there, and they are untapped.

BG

Comment

The Ontario Chapter, Hamilton Chapter and Canadian Avanti Owners Assn and the museum just finished our 10 day show at the Canadian International Autoshow. 300,000 people. One of the three biggest in North America.

Surprisingly few knew about the SDC, the museum, or the Ontario SDC clubs.

Anyway, it was a huge success, with many people saying that it was the best thng at the show (maybe some are a little prejudiced).

Having been very involved with the clubs, I am always amazed at the cars that appear "out of nowhere".

I always recommend that they join SDC and one of the clubs to participate, because inevitably, the car was not as good as they had hoped, and they go to restore it, and they don't know where the parts are. Hoever, they do correctly know that Studes are undervalued when compared to other cars.

Paul R

Comment

The Ontario Chapter, Hamilton Chapter and Canadian Avanti Owners Assn and the museum just finished our 10 day show at the Canadian International Autoshow. 300,000 people. One of the three biggest in North America.

Surprisingly few knew about the SDC, the museum, or the Ontario SDC clubs.

Anyway, it was a huge success, with many people saying that it was the best thng at the show (maybe some are a little prejudiced).

Having been very involved with the clubs, I am always amazed at the cars that appear "out of nowhere".

I always recommend that they join SDC and one of the clubs to participate, because inevitably, the car was not as good as they had hoped, and they go to restore it, and they don't know where the parts are. Hoever, they do correctly know that Studes are undervalued when compared to other cars.

Paul R

Comment

Hi: I am under the impression that SDC has an advertising budget where they place ads in auto related magazines, or at least they used to. Perhaps 'management' is no longer 'in tune' with the hobby and are spending advertising dollars in the wrong places. I am not a lover of Hemmings or Old Cars but perhaps that is where the 'action' is???? Any other placement ideas that should be forwarded to SDC???

toyman

Comment

Hi: I am under the impression that SDC has an advertising budget where they place ads in auto related magazines, or at least they used to. Perhaps 'management' is no longer 'in tune' with the hobby and are spending advertising dollars in the wrong places. I am not a lover of Hemmings or Old Cars but perhaps that is where the 'action' is???? Any other placement ideas that should be forwarded to SDC???

toyman

Comment

it was estimated, again I say estimated that there were 200,000 Studebakers still around. Now that was 20 plus years ago, and even with attrition, there are far more Studebakers out there than members of the SDC.
                        I'd guess that the AVERAGE SDC member owns more than 1 Stude. If the number is 3-4, that means only about 1/4th of the Studes surviving are owned by SDC members.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

it was estimated, again I say estimated that there were 200,000 Studebakers still around. Now that was 20 plus years ago, and even with attrition, there are far more Studebakers out there than members of the SDC.
                          I'd guess that the AVERAGE SDC member owns more than 1 Stude. If the number is 3-4, that means only about 1/4th of the Studes surviving are owned by SDC members.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by toyman
                            Any other placement ideas that should be forwarded to SDC???
                            I know this could be consider sac religious, but small ads in Rod and Custom and the GoodGuys GoodTimes Gazette are not expensive and may reach the audience that will carry the Studebaker banner into the next generation.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by toyman
                              Any other placement ideas that should be forwarded to SDC???
                              I know this could be consider sac religious, but small ads in Rod and Custom and the GoodGuys GoodTimes Gazette are not expensive and may reach the audience that will carry the Studebaker banner into the next generation.

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X