This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Studebaker adventure

N8 and I drove back my new 63 rag top some 200 miles from New Jersey today. The P.O. (Geirge Shields) had it gassed up and ready to go. We got in, started her up, drove home at 70 MPH, end of adventure. <g> The car, a 51,000 mile beauty, was much nicer then expected. Even though it was carefully maintained and garage kept, it only took me a few minutes to find things to play with. One motor mount is soft, the shift linkage needs adjustment as do the brakes. I cleaned out the heater filter and wiped off some dirt from off the factory paint under the hood to reveal the factory chalk marks on shinny black paint. A quick walk around the car shows little else that needs to be replaced or messed with, even the clock works. Here's the car again.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 GT Hawk
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    53 Street rod

Truly a nice car .Congrats!!

Orlando FLA
    Orlando FLA

Comment

It's a nicer car than I expected. I just have a hard time embracing the OHV six. It looks like one of the heater hoses is about to give up. You might want to replace them (please use black hose) before you have a mess.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Would a black and white steering wheel like the one in your 63 fit a 62 Champ T cab? Sure would like to have one that's in good condition if it does.

Comment

Gary, I think you are looking at a rusty hose retainer,(not yet detailed) the hoses are near new. (replaced when the engine was overhauled 2 years ago ) I'm not a fan of the OHV six, but with OD, it'll cruise nicely at 70-80 MPH and the gas bage barely moves.

I had thoughts of replacing it with a V8 because I have both a R1 and R2 on engine stands, but it runs so sweet, I'll likly keep it stock.

64 GT Hawk
          64 R2 4 speed Challenger
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          53 Street rod
          JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Gary, I think you are looking at a rusty hose retainer,(not yet detailed) the hoses are near new. (replaced when the engine was overhauled 2 years ago )
            That retainer is all I saw.
            quote: I had thoughts of replacing it with a V8 because I have both a R1 and R2 on engine stands, but it runs so sweet, I'll likly keep it stock.
            If you don't, you will hear from the most evil of all evil ones! That car deserves to remain original, and someone will love it, just for what it is!

Dave's Place
            Studebaker Emporium
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by JDP

Gary, I think you are looking at a rusty hose retainer,(not yet detailed)

You are probably correct. Between my monitor and my eyes at midnight, it looked like the hose. I am glad that a little black paint or a new retainer will cure it.
              Does it have the original engine or the engine that Paul J. mentioned?
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The engine Paul mentioned was sold by me some 25-30 years ago, it is not in this car. I don't have the build sheet to check engine numbers, but the woner claims it's the factory engine.

64 GT Hawk
                64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                53 Street rod
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Whatever you do, please leave it stock. If it cruises as you say, what's wrong with that?
                  Nice car.
                  Rog
                  '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                  X