This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a truck steering column

Looking for a champ steering column from a floor shifting truck . I'm converting my truck from a column shift to a floor shift and if i can get one of these it would make my life a little simpler. Any help would be appreciated

How will it be "simpler"? Other than having the leftover shifter parts going along for the ride, the floor shift you (I assume) want to convert to will have nothing to do with the column.
    1692500P is the collar for floor shift steering columns that effectively eliminates the shift lever on the column if you're just looking to "clean up" the column's appearances.
    BTW, it carries a different part # than the collars for 4-speed setups in Larks and Hawks. What specific differences there are, I can't say.
    Simple would be just removing the roll pin that holds the shift lever in place and taking off the lever. Of course, asthetically, you still have that collar with the lever boss showing.
    My guess is it's not going to be easy to find the piece(s) you're looking for since lots of folks before you have converted to floor shift even with a 3-speed, let alone a 4 or 5 speed refit.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Not that this is the cheap way to go, but companies like Ididit and Flaming River sell new steering columns with and without column shifters. They are available with and without tilt, can be had in stainless (polished) or in paintable steel. The only issue may be fitting the OEM steering wheel to it (I'm sure there's an adapter to fit them somehow). The columns can also be wired for 4-way flashers and cruise (the do have T/S levers). Check out their websites.

I know everyone wants to keep their Studebaker ALL Studebaker, but when swapping stuff around, I think original has gone out the window regardless of where that column (or other parts come from). The columns are new with new bearings and they don't look much different the OEM pieces. I'm using an Ididit column with tilt and cruise in my Daytona.

Ididit - http://www.ididitinc.com/
      Flaming River - http://www.flamingriver.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Well I figured it would be easier to find a truck column then a cars any day of the week . If I can't come up with one I'll be disassemling what I have and reworking the collar that is on it, but I'd rather see whats out there before I go do that.
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Not that this is the cheap way to go, but companies like Ididit and Flaming River sell new steering columns with and without column shifters. They are available with and without tilt, can be had in stainless (polished) or in paintable steel. The only issue may be fitting the OEM steering wheel to it (I'm sure there's an adapter to fit them somehow). The columns can also be wired for 4-way flashers and cruise (the do have T/S levers). Check out their websites.

I know everyone wants to keep their Studebaker ALL Studebaker, but when swapping stuff around, I think original has gone out the window regardless of where that column (or other parts come from). The columns are new with new bearings and they don't look much different the OEM pieces. I'm using an Ididit column with tilt and cruise in my Daytona.

Ididit - http://www.ididitinc.com/
          Flaming River - http://www.flamingriver.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
          So Tom how are you going to attach the new steering column to the original steering box since the shaft is one piece from box to steering wheel hub nut.????

Comment

Transtar 60 wrote: "So Tom how are you going to attach the new steering column to the original steering box since the shaft is one piece from box to steering wheel hub nut.????"

Yeah Tom - do tell. Of course, ANYthing can be done - just like to hear how you're approaching it.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Sorry, in my case, I'm cheating. The length of the new column will be the same. The difference is that the front suspension is being modified to C4 Corvette and rack & pinion steering [}]. Borgeson sells every kind of steering shaft, bearings, couplers, etc., known to man to connect the column to the steering gear.

Because I didn't plan on keeping the original column or steering gear, I really hadn't looked at the current set up [:I]. I can see now that my thought regarding the steering wouldn't work without wholesale changes. Just another case of my enthusiasm exceeding my Studebaker knowledge [)].

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
              X