PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust fumes

curt
12-10-2005, 11:10 PM
How far behind the bumper does the exhaust pip go? I get some fumes on a cold night with a tail wind. I think the previous owner 'circumcised' the tail pipe, I do not detect any leaks in the system.

whacker
12-10-2005, 11:27 PM
What body style car?

Build a man a fire and you warm him for a night. Set a man on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life!

CHAMP
12-11-2005, 04:29 AM
MY TAILPIPE COMES OUT TO THE REAR OF THE BUMPER,I PUT A CHROME EXHAUST DEFLECTOR ON IT AND BROUGHT IT OUT TO ABOUT A HALF OF AN INCH FROM END OF BUMPER GUARD. YOU CAN GET ONE AT WALMART OR PEP BOYS FOR LESS THAN TEN DOLLARS. I THINK YOU MIGHT WANT TO RECHECK FOR LEAKS. HOPE THIS SOLVES YOUR PROBLEM. CHAMP:D

curt
12-11-2005, 09:17 AM
It is a President State 1955. I had it into a muffler shop for a check, also if I cover the tail pipe end and I do not see or hear exhaust noise from the system.

Dick Steinkamp
12-11-2005, 11:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by curt

It is a President State 1955. I had it into a muffler shop for a check, also if I cover the tail pipe end and I do not see or hear exhaust noise from the system.

Those C/K's can get exhaust into the cabin if the trunk seal is not doing its job. Exhaust pipe should not have to stick out past the bumper (I think it would look strange if it did).

-Dick-

CHAMP
12-11-2005, 12:03 PM
MY TAILPIPE STICKS OUT ONE AND A HALF INCHES PAST THE REAR BUMPER AND ONE A HALF INCHES INSIDE OF BUMPER GUARD,AND IT DOES NOT LOOK A BIT STRANGE TO ME DICK. I JUST HAD THIS MUFFLER AND TAILPIPE INSTALLED LAST WEEK BY A PROFESSIONAL MUFFLER SHOP. CHAMP:D

Dick Steinkamp
12-11-2005, 12:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by CHAMP

MY TAILPIPE STICKS OUT ONE AND A HALF INCHES PAST THE REAR BUMPER AND ONE A HALF INCHES INSIDE OF BUMPER GUARD,AND IT DOES NOT LOOK A BIT STRANGE TO ME DICK. I JUST HAD THIS MUFFLER AND TAILPIPE INSTALLED LAST WEEK BY A PROFESSIONAL MUFFLER SHOP. CHAMP:D

Sorry...I said that wrong. I ment on my car. Here's my '53. The tail pipes come out just barely past the rear valence. On MY car, I think they would look strange if they were the foot or so longer they would need to be to be past the bumper.

-Dick-

http://static.flickr.com/35/72442362_3ab4e2b611_b.jpg

CHAMP
12-11-2005, 01:13 PM
VERY, VERY, VERY NICE 53 DICK, MY FIRST STUDE WAS A 53. CHAMP:D

curt
12-11-2005, 02:47 PM
That's one good looking rear!

curt
12-11-2005, 04:38 PM
The seal may be where to start, the trunk has a very exhaust fume smell when the car does not smell.

wagone
12-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Dick, that is a great looking car. My first Stude was a '54 Champ C body and I am envious of your '53 hardtop. I'd love to see your car in person sometime but at half a country apart that is not very likely to happen.
wagone and Avanti I

Dick Steinkamp
12-13-2005, 11:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by wagone

Dick, that is a great looking car. My first Stude was a '54 Champ C body and I am envious of your '53 hardtop. I'd love to see your car in person sometime but at half a country apart that is not very likely to happen.
wagone and Avanti I

I'm going to try my darndest to get it to Omaha next year. It's already been to Lincoln on AmeriCruise, so it sort of knows the way :D

-Dick-