PDA

View Full Version : fixed roof wagonaire to sliding roof?

carlivar
12-05-2005, 01:53 PM
I'm looking at a 66 Wagonaire that has the fixed roof. I'd really like a sliding roof. Is it possible to convert a fixed roof to sliding with parts donated from a sliding roof parts car?

Thanks!

studegary
12-05-2005, 02:25 PM
It is "possible", but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. There are enough Wagonaires available. I think that the easiest way would be to do an entire roof transplant, but you would also have to either change the wagon's frame or install the X-member. You are talking about a large dollar/time/effort combination.

Roscomacaw
12-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Gary's RIGHT about this idea! WAY too much trouble to add the sliding roof. Besides that, you'd most certainly have to find a "donor" sliding roof wagon to scavenge from.
Bein' a 66, it's kinda neat because it's fairly rare, but there's other's out there WITH sliding roofs for sale. In fact, Rosstude on this forum was trying to sell his wife's daily driver 66 Wagonaire just recently. You might wanna send him an E-mail and see if it's found a home yet. I've seen pics of it and it's a NICE wagon!;):D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

carlivar
12-05-2005, 04:35 PM
I kind of figured it would be a huge project and not worth it, but just figured I'd check.

Funny... I just realized Rosstude's wagon is the one I'm interested in! Except I didn't see it here; it was in a car classifieds magazine I picked up at the Pomona swap meet.

My dilemma is that I've always wanted a Studebaker Wagonaire with the sliding roof (I know they have leak problems). But I also like Studebakers in general so I'll have to think about it.

Thanks,
Carl

Rosstude
12-06-2005, 11:20 AM
Yea, it's me. The 66' is a fixed roof. I have a copy of the production order, and it looks to me that someone had to order it fixed, verses sliding. (sliding delete?)
Ross.

Ross.
57 Provincial
58 Transtar
66 Wagonaire

Roscomacaw
12-06-2005, 01:58 PM
Ross, does it carry any of the hardware that the slider needed (rails, etc.) or is it without any of that? [?][?][?]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Rosstude
12-06-2005, 04:27 PM
I am not totally sure what hardware lies under the headliner. I think the mounting points, the ones that are spot welded on, or integral with the body, are in place, but none of the "bolt on" hardware is in place. There are stainless steel trim pieces covering the exterior fixed "slider" section and the roof line, running front to rear. I think this SS trim piece has a counter part under it, allowing it to affix and seal the "slider" section. The exterior trim running side to side at the front and rear of the fixed "slider" is the same as one with a sliding roof. Up front of the fixed "slider" section there is a kind of bulkhead thing mounted inside to seal that gap, unless you look closely into the gap, the outside the gap looks the same as one that slides. It looks like the only piece that would make the change from fixed to sliding is the sliding section itself, and some of the exterior trim.

Ross.
57 Provincial
58 Transtar
66 Wagonaire

Dick Steinkamp
12-06-2005, 06:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Rosstude

It looks like the only piece that would make the change from fixed to sliding is the sliding section itself, and some of the exterior trim.

...and, as Studegary said, the "X" frame member from a sliding roof model (unless the fixed roof model also had this frame member), otherwise it would probably be a flexible flyer.

-Dick-

gordr
12-07-2005, 03:05 AM
Agreed that it's a tough job. I parted out a fixed-roof wagon once, but I don't remember how the roof panel was fastened in. I didn't remove it.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned: the tailgate window is different. Fixed-roof wagon uses a frameless glass, and there are narrow-groove catwhiskers in the rear pillars and roof channel. Sliding-roof wagon has a chrome frame around the glass, and the cat whiskers are wide-channel to accomodate it.

So, even more parts to mess with!

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

blackhawk
12-10-2005, 08:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by gordr

Agreed that it's a tough job. I parted out a fixed-roof wagon once, but I don't remember how the roof panel was fastened in. I didn't remove it.The roof is bolted in. I took one out of a wagon in the wrecking yard once to put in my '63 which had a sliding roof. My car had so many hard miles on it that it was getting pretty loose. There was getting to be too much flexing in the rear to keep the tailgate latched and it was forever breaking the new dovetail latches. So, I removed the sliding roof and all the related parts and installed the fixed roof to tie everything back together. I can't remember how I fastened it in. I think I had to somehow make some nutplates. The new full length vinyl headliner covered it all anyway. I ran it that way for several years before parking it. I still have it, all the parts and another sliding roof parts car, so someday may try to put it back to original. I do remember that the rails and other paraphenalia for the sliding roof added up to a surprising amount of weight, all up high of course. I agree it'd be hard to go the other way. You really need the x-member in the frame. It is hard enough to hold the rear together with the stiffer frame. A sliding roof wagon without the stiffer frame would not hold up well. Dale