This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Transmission

I'd love to have an auto with lock-up and o/drive in my Hawk.
    Are there any later autos that would mate up with the Stude V-8?
    With today's fuel prices, lock-up and o/drive can save some serious fuel costs.
    /H

Meyer's Studebaker in Ohio makes a beautiful adapter setup to put a GM auto trans in a Stude. You can choose just about any model you want, but a 700R4, or a 200R4 seem to be the popular auto transmissions. You will need to make a rear crossmember to locate the rear transmission mount, and do some driveshaft work, as well as re-do your shift linkage and TV cable.... But this is all explained and they have sold a bunch of these kits. They are VERY nice kits and are worth what they are asking for them. Much nicer than another adapter out on the marketplace (IMHO)....
    Hope the info helps.
    Jeff[8D]

Contact them at:

myersstudebaker.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, myersstudebaker.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Myers Studebaker Parts
    130 Main St
    Duncan Falls OH.27374
    (740) 674-4897

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
    '37 Coupe Express
    '37 Coupe Express Trailer
    '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm getting ready to put a G.M. Automatic w/overdrive into my 63 Champ pickup. Hope to start the conversion in the next few weeks. I also hope to document the conversion in pictures, etc. I got my adapter plate from Howard's Studebaker Parts... the reason being is that they were present in Spokane, so I could see the plate up close. I was impressed with its manufacture... as well as its price!! I have not seen anyone else' conversion plate at any meet in the past, so it was good to see this one and that is what sold me.

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker
      Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

Many thanks, now have to figure out if those GM autos are available here "down-under".
        /H

Comment

I put a 700R4 in my '62 GT Hawk and the rear mount of the transmission fell almost right on the existing crossmember. Just a little cutting & welding to make it work. However, the top of the GM bellhousing didn't quite clear the firewall. Had move my front engine mounts forward a 1/4".

Comment

Working...
          X