This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing front fenders of Hawk

Is there any information published anywhere on the proper method to remove the front fenders of a 1960 Hawk? I need to remove mine and I cannot see if there are bolts holding it on the top of the inner fender well. Thanks Harry

The shop manual should have the procedure. That said, the fenders are spot welded to the inner fenders and are removed from the car as a unit. Hawks may vary from the earlier cars, but in short; here is a rough list of the procedure:

Remove all bolted on accessories from the inner fender (V reg, bat box, relays, harness, etc).
    Remove grill parts that attach to the fender.
    Probably helpful to take the front bumper off too.
    Take off the wheel to get under the fender.
    Take the fender vent shroud off. Watch out for springs!
    There are 3 bolts that go from the back edge of the fender into the firewall and 2? more that attach the fender to the firewall brace.
    Then, there are 2 bolts at the front going into the rad core support and I also think you need to take the long bolt and short bolts that goes through the frame that holds down the core support. Note the shim stack under the "foot" that the inner fender has in the area.
    The under-bumper air scope attaches to the fender with about 4-5 bolts too. There are also a couple of brace rods. Those should be obvious....
    I may have missed a few, its been a few years.

Plan on spending a day at this if you've never done it before and the bolts are rusty.

Jeff

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

It is not really nessessary, but I recommend removing the hood completely before you start on the fender. After you have smashed your head or dropped the hood on your hand in the middle of removing the fender, you will see why. You can remove the fender without taking off the hood.

Comment

Working...
      X