This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Champion V8

Was it possible to get a V8 in a 1955 Champion? I ask because I have a 1955 champion with a V8 3 speed overdrive. If it was converted, whoever did it did an excellent job. Everything looks like it was there from the factory. The gas line comes up at the fuel pump, throttle linkage is right, all wiring is still in proper location, fan shroud and radiator are right. I haven`t had a chance to check the engine number yet.[?]

No. If it is a Champion, it left the factory with a 6 cylinder engine.

Comment

Maybe it is a Commander with Champion trim (to fool people or replacement panels). What is the information on the body tag (engine side of cowl, car's right side)? Does the body tag look like it has been changed (Does the paint on the tag match the cowl?)? What is the serial number on the door jamb (Does it look like it has been changed?)? NO, you could not get a V8 in a '55 Champion. Studebaker made some cars to order, but that wouldn't make sense.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If the serial# plate on the door jamb starts with a "G", it was a 6 cylinder car to start with for sure. If the body tag on the firewall (near the righthand hood hinge) starts out "16G6- it was/is a Champion at heart.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The engine serial number should tell you for sure. You should be able to trace it down to either a specific year car or truck, or tell if it is a factory replacement block. Either way, if this is the 4 door on eBay now, it is a nice looking car and the engine swap should only increase the value.

Comment

I have a 53 Commander parts car with 55 trim. Apparently, dealers would install newer trim to update the appearance of the car, so it would look like a new car.

In any case, many Champions came from the factory with Regal Trim (the stainless steel side butterknife trim). I am certain this is because it makes the car look faster.

Paul

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55s

I have a 53 Commander parts car with 55 trim. Apparently, dealers would install newer trim to update the appearance of the car, so it would look like a new car.

In any case, many Champions came from the factory with Regal Trim (the stainless steel side butterknife trim). I am certain this is because it makes the car look faster.

Paul
              You may be "certain," but I think that you are incorrect <G>. Keep in mind that American cars of the 1955-1958 period were slathered with chrome and stainless. This butterknife and the grille were Studebaker's way of keeping up with the times and the industry. I discussed this at length with Bob Bourke and he never once referred to this trim as making the car look faster. He didn't like either feature, but that was not his call. Bob's own '54 Starliner better reflects what he wanted on the '55s.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Rationale or not, alot of 55 Champions DID come with the Regal trim option. It may not have been popular with Bourke, but the evidence of how many Regal-trimmed cars are around indicates someone liked it.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Serial number starts with G and the cowl tag starts 16G6 so it must have been a 6 to start with. Whoever did it had to have another car and swap everything over in good detail. Yes it is the car on ebay now. I bought the car like it is. Its a nice daily driver, but not a show car.

Comment

I received an email today that Champions could be special ordered with a v8 engine from 1951 up. Any comments?

Comment

Comment? Yup - bogus information! Since, body and interior-wise, you'd get essentially the SAME car, if you opted for a Commander over a Champion, What would be the sense of Studebaker defeating their own marketing strategy??? Doesn't make sense!
                      The two different lines were virtually the same save for their drivelines and the brakes and springs they were fitted with. Since the brakes even on the Commander line were marginal, at best, in their effectiveness - imagine trusting the added power and weight of the V8 to the wimpy brakes of the Champion! Then there's the issue of the lighter duty rear axle behind the V8. It would have a very short working life.
                      So total up the changes required to make the car capable of handling the V8 - Different wiring, heavier duty springs, bigger brakes, beefier transmission and drive shaft and rear axle as well, and guess what??? You've got a Commander with Champion namepltes on it. What have you saved? Nothing.[xx(] There MIGHT be a very minor savings in that the Champion had a lighter gage frame - but then again, would you think Stude would build a car to lesser specs than what they'd designed???[B)]

Copy my argument here and E-mail it back to your "informant". I'd like to here his counterpoint on this.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

I checked the engine number today V351860 which indicates a 1955 Engine.

Comment

Mr. Biggs, according to Chilton`s Auto Repair Manual, the 1955 Champion and Commander had the same brakes and the same chassis length and tire size. That would indicate the same car just a different engine, wouldn`t it?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dr9487

Mr. Biggs, according to Chilton`s Auto Repair Manual, the 1955 Champion and Commander had the same brakes and the same chassis length and tire size. That would indicate the same car just a different engine, wouldn`t it?
                            The Chilton's manual is wrong about the brakes. Champion brakes are smaller than Commander brakes. It is also incorrect on the tire sizes. Champions came with 6.40 x 15's and Commanders came with 7.10 x 15's. The chassis length IS the same.

As Biggs states..." The two different lines were virtually the same save for their drivelines and the brakes and springs they were fitted with".

If you replaced the Champion brakes, springs, engine, transmission, rear end, drive shaft and frame with those from a Commander, you would have a "virtual" Commander.

-Dick-

(BTW, the last time I can recall that Biggs was wrong was when he thought he was wrong, but turned out he was right. He was wrong to think he was wrong <g&gt
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

According to Chilton`s 1955 was the only year that Champion and Commander had the same brakes. Advance Auto Parts and Autozone both show the same brakes system for the both cars in 1955. There`s less than 300 lbs difference in the 2 cars and the v8 engine probably is most of that at 2790 lbs and 3065 lbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X